How to kill lice from children’s hair?
Having lice in the hair can happen anywhere, anytime and above all anyone can catch them! You should know that there are precautions to avoid catching lice, but if you are already infected, you must eliminate and kill them as quickly as possible.
To put an end to this lice problem, here are 10 tips and remedies to kill lice effectively and quickly. Good luck!
1. A fine comb against lice… That’s a good start!
The very first thing to do when you see lice in your child’s hair is to comb their hair.
It is important to comb the hair using a fine anti-lice comb, a comb specially designed for this problem of lice.
Some important steps to remove all lice and nits from hair:
- Wet your child’s hair.
- Pass the anti-lice comb for 20 minutes 1 to 2 times a day.
It may take several days for all the lice to be cleared from your child’s head. It is therefore important to resort to other tips and tricks to speed up the treatment of lice.
Here is a set of lice combs that you can buy online here:
- Complete kit to remove head lice.
- Includes 5 lice combs for children and adults.
- Efficient, fast and easy to use.
2. Thyme lotion
To kill lice and nits in the hair here is a first 100% natural remedy that works very well.
- Boil 100g of thyme in 1 liter of water for 15 minutes and leave to cool.
- Wash hair with conventional shampoo and rinse.
- Then apply the thyme solution to the hair and let it air dry.
This lotion is really very effective against lice… A trick to remember to get rid of them!
3. Kill nits and lice with a hair straightener!
Does hair straighteners really kill lice? This is a great question to which I can tell you that high heat does indeed kill nits and lice in hair.
Indeed, lice only burn with high heat, in fact very high heat like that of a straightener for example.
So using a straightener, iron and straighten your hair strand by strand. Thus, lice die together with eggs and nits. This trick is especially effective at the beginning of the lice infection.
4. Apply petroleum jelly to the hair
Here is another home remedy to get rid of hair lice effectively:
- Apply petroleum jelly all over the hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave on overnight.
- The next morning rinse and wash the hair with a good shampoo.
- Comb the hair well to remove the lice nits died overnight.
5. Apply coconut oil to hair
Much like the petroleum jelly trick you can also use coconut oil to fight head lice. Here’s how:
- Rinse and wash your hair with your usual shampoo and then apply coconut oil all over the hair.
- Massage the hair well with coconut oil and leave on overnight. Don’t forget to wear a shower cap.
- The next morning use a lice comb to remove the lice and nits from the hair.
- Rinse and wash hair again with shampoo to finish.
This trick is to be repeated every day to succeed in effectively eliminating lice.
6. Apply lavender oil against lice
Certain essential oils can be used for various natural treatments including the control and treatment of lice.
So here is how to use lavender essential oil for this tip:
- Put a few drops of this essential oil directly on the head, then comb the hair.
- Let it act for a few minutes. Then wash your head with shampoo.
It is both a prevention and a fairly effective head lice treatment that you should try.
7. Anti-lice remedy based on essential oils
For this home remedy you need:
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oils
- 10 drops thyme essential oil
- 10 drops of lemon essential oils
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
Now here is how to treat head lice:
- Mix all the oils together in a container.
- Apply and gently rub the bottom of the head with this mixture (rub the scalp well with your fingers).
- Use a shower cap and leave on for about 45 minutes.
- Rinse and wash the hair with conventional shampoo.
- Then use a lice comb to remove lice and nits.
This essential oil remedy is most effective in treating and killing adult head lice.
8. White vinegar to kill lice and nits
White vinegar is an essential ingredient to have at home! Indeed, white vinegar can also be used to fight the invasion of lice in your hair.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and lukewarm cold water.
- Apply the solution to all of the hair and leave to act for 1 hour.
- Rinse the hair and use the lice comb to remove the lice.
To be even more effective dip the comb in vinegar before combing the hair in search of invaders.
9. Shave hair to get rid of lice!
In the worst case, when no treatment succeeds in killing the lice, a complete shave of the hair is necessary.
However, if it is still in the remediable stage it is not necessary to shave your head. But hey, it’s the way some people will prefer. to eradicate lice and nits effectively, quickly and easily!
10. A strong hairspray against lice
Lice hate strong lacquer products. This anti-lice trick is effective because lice can’t stand its smell.
So, if you have lice or rather don’t want them, use very strong hairspray products to scare them away from your head.
11. A few precautions to avoid getting lice
Now that you know how to remove and eliminate head lice, here are some precautions and simple daily actions to prevent them.
- For long hair it is always better to tie it up, especially at school, for children.
- Keep a small distance between friends and above all never lean your head on others.
- Place the cap, toque or hat in an appropriate place.
- Do a visual check of your child’s hair from time to time.