How to remove bad odors in a house?
Bad odors in a house can be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for the occupants. These odors attack our nostrils and unfortunately it can be difficult to drive them out of the house.
Fortunately, it is possible to camouflage its odors and make our rooms much more fragrant and fresh. 10 Tips presents below the best tips and tricks to remove bad odors.
1. What causes bad odors in a house?
Several causes can be linked to bad odors in a house or apartment. Before even finding and testing tips and products, it is better to find the cause of these unpleasant odors.
Here are the main culprits of bad smells:
- The damp and musty smell
- The smell of cigarettes and tobacco
- The smell of cooking in the kitchen (especially the smell of fish)
- The smell of cat litter
- The smell of pets
- The smell of drains, etc.
2. Air to change the smell of a house
Ventilation, certainly the first thing to do to quickly eliminate bad odors in a house. Whether it’s to eliminate the smell of fish in the kitchen, remove tobacco smells, or even the smell of fresh paint on the walls, it is important to air all the rooms in the house to start with.
Regardless of the season, airing the rooms of the house by opening the windows is always good. It refreshes the house while helping to eliminate the bad odors that reign in the different rooms of the house.
3. Baking soda against odors
If you are a regular at 10-trucs.com, you have certainly noticed that baking soda is very popular in our various tips and tricks. So here it is, baking soda is an excellent product to hunt and neutralize odors in a house.
Eliminate the smell of carpets and rugs:
- Sprinkle all over your rugs and carpets a little baking soda
- Leave to act all night and the next day use the vacuum cleaner to remove the bicarbonate
The bad smell impregnated in your rugs and carpets of the house should have completely disappeared thanks to baking soda.
Also effective against the smell of gasoline!
Baking soda is one of the good stuff against gasoline smell as you can read in this article: How to get rid of gasoline smell in a house?
Eliminate the bad smell of the pipes:
It is common for pipes to be responsible for bad odors in a house or apartment. Once again baking soda can be useful to neutralize this bad smell in the pipes.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of baking soda down the drain
- Then pour a cup of white vinegar and leave to act for 2 hours
- Then pour boiling water to finish cleaning the pipe
If you still don’t have baking soda at home, you absolutely need it! Hundreds of tips and tricks on 10-trucs.com use the deodorizing and cleaning power of baking soda. Here is a good quantity and at the best price:
- Cleans and deodorizes the house
- Ideal for home maintenance
- TOP quality price!
4. Remove bad odors in a small apartment
If you live in a small apartment with small rooms, it is possible to obtain an odor and humidity absorber. As its name suggests, this device absorbs humidity and bad odors in a house.
But as mentioned above, this type of gadget is only effective in small spaces. For example, if you have too much humidity in your bathroom, the absorber can be an excellent purchase to solve your problem of damp and musty smell in the apartment.
- Helps against humidity and unpleasant odors
- Helps prevent mold
- Ideal for small spaces
5. Green clay to eliminate bad odors
Green clay is a natural solution to eliminate or at least control bad odors in a room of the house. If you prefer, you can also use white clay instead. The end result should be similar in terms of effectiveness against odors.
- Mix in a bowl 3 to 5 tablespoons of powdered green clay with a few drops of rose essential oil.
- Then place the bowl in a room of your house, in the open air.
- Every week, add essential oil to keep this trick effective
We offer you rose essential oil but you can also choose another flagrance of your choice according to your tastes. You can also use an essential oil diffuser which will be even more effective in changing the smell of the house.
6. An essential oil diffuser to change the smell of the house
Indeed, the essential oil diffuser is a really popular product these days to diffuse good smells in the rooms of the house.
This device is above all useful for diffusing good smells in the house, in the apartment or in the office. If you have a real bad odor problem, it is better to find the source of the problem first because you risk simply hiding it with a diffuser.
10 Tips offers you below the Victsing essential oil diffuser which is very popular and appreciated by users and our visitors.
7. Bleach to remove bad odors
Bleach, although much less popular than before, remains an effective means of deep cleaning and deodorizing. Of course you have to be careful about its use and the quantity used but in the end this product can be useful to eliminate odors.
So when you wash your floors and counters, put a little bleach in your warm-hot water. Once all your rooms are cleaned, you will see how clean it smells everywhere. Bad smells will only be bad memories.
Be careful, however, because the use of bleach can damage certain surfaces such as hardwood and other materials, so be careful.
If you are looking for alternatives to household bleach, here is an article that offers several interesting natural products: What can I substitute for bleach?
8. Apple cider vinegar and cinnamon
Now how about testing a homemade recipe against bad smells? Apple cider vinegar and cinnamon is what you need!
Heat a little cider vinegar and cinnamon in a saucepan and a very good smell will quickly emerge.
If the bad smells come from the kitchen and the cooking of a big fish for example, you will see them disappear quickly thanks to this sweet warm and autumnal perfume.
9. Liquid fabric softener to change the smell
As with the previous cider vinegar trick, this new trick helps to release a good smell quickly throughout the apartment.
Heat water (about 4 cups) over very low heat with a little fabric softener. A good smell will be felt very quickly in all rooms of the house.
You can also replace the fabric softener with lemon juice to have a 100% natural tip against odors.
10. A deep house cleaning is in order!
If, despite our tips and tricks, bad smells still reign in the house, then a major cleaning is essential! How do you expect to have a nice fresh smell in the house if you don’t take the time to clean everything occasionally?
If you are looking for tips to clean the house quickly then this guide is for you: How to do the housework well?
If you don’t really like to do the big cleaning then favor at least the cleaning of certain rooms, furniture and accessories in the house.
Here is what you absolutely must clean to avoid bad odors in your home:
- Garbage cans in the house (you can sprinkle baking soda in the bottom after cleaning is finished)
- Toilets and bowls (wash toilets weekly)
- Carpets, rugs and rugs in the house
- The washing machine (wash and drain the washing machine at least once a month)
- The fridge
- Clothing that may give off a strong smell of perspiration
- The shower and the bath, etc.
How about a potpourri against bad smells in the house? Here is an article to discover: Homemade potpourri recipe.