How to get rid of invasive grasshoppers? Grasshoppers can become very disturbing and invasive if they constantly circle around the house and garden.
Although they are not dangerous for us, grasshoppers can invade our vegetable gardens and destroy crop fields. Here are our best grasshopper repellents for the home.
1. Chickens to fight grasshoppers
If you live in the countryside and have a problem with grasshoppers and other invading insects then chickens can help!
In effect, chickens LOVE to eat grasshoppers and in addition you will have good fresh eggs every day!
So let them roam the garden occasionally to help you get rid of these flying insects.
2. Neem oil to get rid of insects
Do you know neem oil? There are many neem-based products and insecticides on sale in garden and hardware stores.
The leaves and seeds of the neem tree have been used as a natural insecticide and fertilizer for decades in India.
You can also make your own natural insecticide:
- Add 10ml of neem oil to 100ml of water in a bottle.
- Mix well and spray the solution on the plants to protect them from grasshoppers and other pests.
I recommend this neem oil to concoct your own natural repellent:
- 100% pure and natural neem oil.
- Also useful against fleas and lice.
- For various beauty tips and treatments.
3. Natural grasshopper insecticide recipe
To continue with natural tips and repellents, here is an insecticide recipe that is easy to make at home using a few ingredients.
For this grasshopper insecticide you need:
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap
- 1 tablespoon of baby oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
Mix all the ingredients well and spray on the plants, vegetable plants and flowers that you want to protect from grasshoppers and locusts.
4. Find and Kill Grasshopper Eggs
An effective trick to get rid of grasshoppers at home is to find and kill the eggs before they hatch.
If you see a lot and often of grasshoppers around the house, pay special attention to those that dig for long minutes or even long hours in the ground. They are digging a nest to lay all their eggs.
So you have 2 choices:
- catch the adult grasshopper before it lays eggs and get rid of it
- wait and destroy all the eggs
5. A do-it-yourself grasshopper trap
Whether it is against grasshoppers, crickets or other insects that you want to keep away from the garden, here is an effective and easy-to-make outdoor trap.
- Bury a bucket or a plastic container in the ground up to the rim.
- Add a mixture of water and sugar to the bucket to attract grasshoppers.
- Oil the edges of the container to prevent insects from coming out of the trap.
Grasshoppers will be attracted to this sugary water and will drown quickly.
6. Keep grasshoppers away with sorghum
Sorghum is a plant that is not liked at all by grasshoppers. You can therefore plant a few sorghum plants here and there near your garden, vegetable patch or cornfields and these will naturally grow away from them.
7. Attract grasshoppers and then eliminate them
Rather than find grasshopper repellents, why not find ways to attract them to better exterminate them later?
Grasshoppers like to feed on these plants. While they feast, they will leave your fields alone.
Attract grasshoppers with sound
Grasshoppers love sound. You can therefore attract them and then spray them with a natural insecticide to keep them away.
Straw as a trap
Another way to attract them to eliminate them is to spread straw near your fields and gardens. The grasshoppers will take shelter there and you will be able to eliminate them more easily afterwards.
If a grasshopper accidentally slips inside the house, you have to act quickly, very quickly to avoid losing sight of it.
Capturing the grasshopper with a container:
Simple, fast and effective, all you have to do is approach the insect quietly and trap it as quickly as possible with a transparent container to ensure its capture.
Then slip a sheet of paper between the insect and the container to release it into the wild, outside the house.
Catching harmful insects with the vacuum cleaner:
An even faster way to catch and kill all the unwanted bugs in a house is to simply vacuum them up.
These 2 traps can be used against grasshoppers but also against spiders, earwigs, cockroaches and other crawling insects.