How to remove yellow stains from a tablecloth? Tablecloths are probably the easiest pieces of linen to get dirty! So are you tired of yellow, wine and food stains getting stuck on your tablecloths?
I am offering you today on 10-Trucs the best tips, tricks and products for cleaning and removing stains from a plastic tablecloth.
Tips for cleaning a white tablecloth:
1. Quickly sponge a damp spot on a tablecloth
Have you spilled wine, coffee, tea, juice, or any other liquid on your tablecloth? Immediately apply absorbent paper to it, and let it soak up the liquid without rubbing. Repeat as needed to fully absorb the wine.
This should always be the first step before cleaning, before doing the other cleaning tips and tricks offered on this page.
Of course if you want to remove a dry red wine stain or worse already washed it is better to try these other tips: How do you remove a stubborn wine stain?
2. Scrape a dry spot on a tablecloth
If a stain has had time to dry and form a crust on the cotton tablecloth, start by scraping the stain, using a spoon or a knife with a rounded end.
Caution: Go gently when scraping to avoid damaging the fabric of your tablecloth.
Easier to remove on a plastic tablecloth!
This trick is much easier if the stain is on a plastic tablecloth, but be careful not to rub too hard so as not to stretch or puncture the plastic.
3. Marseille soap to clean a white tablecloth
Before placing and cleaning your tablecloth with laundry, always start by cleaning the stain with a cleaning product.
A natural and effective cleaning product is Marseille soap. Here’s how to use it on a fabric tablecloth:
- Gently rub the stain with the Marseille soap, so as to form a crust.
- Leave on for 30 to 60 minutes, then emulsify.
- Once the stain is gone, wash your tablecloth in the washing machine on the regular cycle.
You don’t have Marseille soap at home? 10-trucs offers you a quality Marseille soap right here:
4. Remove a grease stain from a tablecloth?
To effectively remove a greasy stain from a tablecloth while it is still damp, sprinkle it with talcum powder or flour. Let the talc absorb the grease, then clean the stain with a mild soap such as Marseille soap.
So whether it’s a butter stain or worse a vegetable oil stain, start by testing this trick to clean the tablecloth.
If you have spilled red wine or grape juice on your tablecloth, you must act quickly if you want to prevent the stain from soaking in.
- Start by absorbing the excess liquid with a paper towel, without rubbing.
- Then, sprinkle talc, salt or flour on the still wet stain, and let it absorb again.
- Then, dust off the solid residue, and wet the stain with sparkling mineral water.
You can finish cleaning the tablecloth with a quick wash in the washing machine.
A white wine stain on a tablecloth?
White wine left a stain on your tablecloth? Soak it with pure white vinegar and leave to act for 1 hour. Then, wash as usual.
For a dry or recent wine stain (red or white), adding Sommières soil is the ideal trick to clean everything. You can use this stain remover on a fabric or plastic tablecloth.
During a romantic dinner, the candles left wax on your tablecloth? Here are the steps to quickly remove a wax stain from a tablecloth:
- First, wait for the wax to harden.
- Then scrape off the excess with a spoon or blunt knife.
- Then, apply talcum powder and several layers of absorbent paper to the stain. Pass a hot iron over the paper, until it absorbs the remaining wax.
- Repeat with clean paper until the wax stain has completely disappeared from the tablecloth.
The next time you go for a romantic dinner with your lover, watch out for the candles. ?
8. Remove a yellow stain from a white tablecloth
To remove an old yellowed stain from a white tablecloth, it is enough:
- Make a paste with baking soda and a little water
- Apply the paste to the yellow spot
- Leave to act for at least 1 hour, then wash as usual in the washing machine
If the stain is still there, start over but add lemon juice instead of water to make your cleaning paste. This will be even more effective in removing yellow and old stains from a white tablecloth.
9. Clean a sauce stain on a tablecloth?
To remove a tomato sauce stain from a tablecloth, simply apply lukewarm glycerin and leave to act for a few minutes before washing as usual, by hand or in the washing machine.
Alternatively, you could also use ammonia. To do this, gently dab the sauce stain with an ammonia-soaked cloth.
10. Clean a rust stain on a tablecloth?
To remove a rust stain from a cotton tablecloth or a plastic tablecloth, you will need lemon juice, salt and washing powder.
- Mix the juice and salt and apply the mixture to the stain.
- Next, barely wet your washing powder and use it to scrub the stain.
- Rinse the tablecloth, then wash as usual in the washing machine.
Despite all your efforts, stains persist on your beautiful white cotton tablecloth? Here’s how to remove that old, encrusted stain:
- Dampen the stains with a little water, and rub them gently with powdered dish soap.
- Leave on for 15 minutes, then place your tablecloth in a sink and pour hot water over it.
- Leave to act for another hour, then wash the tablecloth in the washing machine.
To erase an ink stain on a tablecloth, mix equal parts 90-degree alcohol and white vinegar. Rub gently with a clean cloth, then rinse.
If the ink stain is old and has already been cleaned in the washing machine, it may be difficult or impossible to clean completely. Hence the importance of quickly cleaning stains on a tablecloth as soon as you notice them!
Have your fabric tablecloths and napkins yellowed over time? Here are some tips to restore the whiteness of yesteryear to a tablecloth:
- soda crystals : In the washing machine, add 125 milliliters of soda crystals to your detergent. Your linens will come out whiter than white.
- The lemon : You don’t have soda crystals, or prefer a natural whitener? Lemon juice will have this effect. Just add the juice of a lemon to your laundry.
- hydrogen peroxide : Wash your tablecloth in hot water in the washing machine, and when rinsing, add a glass of 30% hydrogen peroxide.
- Milk : to whiten a tablecloth, let it soak in the sink with milk for at least 1 hour. Then wash as usual.
For other types of clothes and fabrics here are some other whitening tips and tricks: How to whiten laundry?