How to clean melamine cabinets? Many houses and apartments have melamine cupboards and furniture in the kitchens. Melamine is an easy-care material that also offers good value for money.
10 Tips presents the best tips and products for cleaning melamine and other laminated and lacquered furniture and cabinets.
1. Soapy water to clean your kitchen cabinets
The first thing to do to keep kitchen cabinets and furniture clean is to wash them regularly, every week… If possible!
Soapy water is simple and easy to make at home: mix warm water with liquid dish soap.
Non-abrasive, gentle and inexpensive, soapy water is the #1 solution for cleaning and maintaining:
- melamine cabinets
- thermoplastic cabinets
- polyester cabinets
- and other laminated and lacquered furniture
2. White vinegar to clean your kitchen cabinets
To clean laminate furniture and kitchen cabinets here is a natural tip based on white vinegar:
- Pour and mix white vinegar and lukewarm water in a large container.
- Clean the laminate surface with a cloth or sponge with this homemade cleaner.
- Rinse quickly and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
For those who have white melanin kitchen cabinets, a problem may arise, that of yellowing of the furniture.
This first tip is to use baking soda:
- Mix baking soda with water to form a malleable paste (neither too firm nor too runny).
- Gently rub the melamine surface with a sponge and the paste, emphasizing the yellow spots.
- Rinse lightly with a damp cloth and dry the surface of the cabinets.
This cleaning tip is also effective on lacquered furniture that has yellowed from the sun or from cigarette smoke.
4. Household alcohol to clean greasy surfaces
Kitchen cabinets and furniture can quickly become greasy and dusty. There is a trick to cleaning grease off the top of kitchen cabinets:
- Use a soft, damp cloth and add a few drops of rubbing alcohol.
- Scrub greasy surfaces of furniture and cabinets.
- Rub again with a damp cloth and dry to finish.
If you don’t have rubbing alcohol, you can also use white vinegar to clean greasy stains.
5. Magic Eraser for Cleaning Melamine
What! Still don’t have a magic sponge at home? This product is, as its name suggests, magical for removing stubborn stains on almost all surfaces.
This magic sponge is especially effective in removing stubborn stains from kitchen furniture that you cannot remove with soapy water.
- Product with concentrated cleaning power.
- Cleans all surfaces.
- Removes the toughest stains.
6. Glass cleaner for melamine surfaces
Regardless of the melamine surface to be cleaned, the glass cleaner that you probably already have at home can do the job very well in the kitchen.
- Spray a little glass cleaner on a rag and clean the melamine cabinet.
- Rub the entire surface with circular movements, insisting on the stains.
- Repeat as needed and dry with a microfiber cloth to finish.
7. Marseille soap: natural and effective
Marseille soap is of course very popular for home laundry but it can also be used to naturally clean melamine kitchen cabinets.
- Just dilute Marseille soap in hot water and use this cleaner to wash the cupboards but also the walls and ceilings of the kitchen and dining room.
8. A cleaner with water and ammonia
Another grandma’s trick is to mix water with ammonia. Indeed, this solution is particularly effective in removing stubborn stains and greasy stains from cabinets and kitchen furniture.
9. Water and liquid fabric softener
Another effective trick to effectively clean the top of kitchen cabinets which is often very greasy is to concoct this mixture:
- Mix 3 parts warm water with one part liquid fabric softener.
- Use paper towels to clean and remove greasy stains.
A simple and effective trick to prevent grease on kitchen cabinets is to cut and place sheets of waxed paper on top of the cabinets.