How to clean varnished furniture? Whether for furniture or parquet, varnished wood also needs a good cleaning from time to time.
Here are the tips and products I use to clean my varnished wooden table and other varnished furniture at home. Happy cleaning!
1. Maintenance of varnished wooden furniture
Before telling you about my cleaning tips and tricks, it is important to know how to properly maintain varnished wooden furniture.
To avoid stubborn stains on varnished wood, dusting is very important! It is therefore necessary to dust the varnished furniture regularly.
Here are some practical tips for maintaining your varnished furniture:
- Dust as regularly as possible.
- Use the softest possible cloth such as a microfiber cloth.
- Never use the vacuum cleaner to clean varnished wood.
- Choose gentle and natural cleaning products.
- Never use an abrasive sponge or brush on varnished furniture.
- Always dab stained varnished wood rather than rub it.
- Dry as quickly as possible to avoid damaging and staining the wood.
2. Natural remedy for cleaning varnished wood
To both clean and shine varnished wooden furniture, here is a homemade recipe to try:
- Mix turpentine with linseed oil in equal quantity.
- Gently rub the varnished wood with this solution and a soft cloth.
Don’t forget to dust the furniture well before using this cleaning tip.
3. Clean varnished wood with white vinegar
White vinegar can be used to effectively clean and remove dust and dirt stuck to varnished wood.
- Add a few drops of vinegar to a damp cloth.
- Gently rub the varnished wood, insisting a little more on the level of the stains.
- Dry the wood with a new, clean microfiber cloth.
Add a little vegetable oil and vinegar:
Mix a little vegetable oil with white vinegar and pour a few drops on a soft cloth. Gently clean your varnished wooden furniture and then dry with a new cloth.
This other trick of vinegar and oil will remove stains but also revive the surface of the varnished furniture.
Whether it is a piece of furniture or another varnished wooden surface, if it is very dirty, this next tip will be useful to you.
For sticky stains and clogged varnished furniture, rubbing alcohol is very effective. Here’s how to do this trick at home:
- Remove excess stain or liquid with a soft, damp cloth.
- Soak a new rag in equal amounts of rubbing alcohol and olive oil.
- Gently dab remaining stain to complete cleaning.
Regardless of the product used, it is necessary dab the stain and above all never rub because you risk damaging the varnished wood.
5. Remove the circles on a varnished wooden piece of furniture
Depending on use, circles may appear on the varnished wooden table. These round-shaped stains form because of the glasses and cups that you place on the varnished table or cabinet.
Here’s how to remove them:
- Mix in a container an equal quantity of alcohol at 90 and olive oil.
- Soak a cloth and gently dab the round to make it disappear.
How do you remove a water stain from furniture?
If you are looking for a way to make a water stain disappear, then this article offers you several practical tips: How do you remove a water stain from wood?
If you have a varnished mahogany piece of furniture at home then here is a tip for cleaning and cleaning it:
- Add 8 tablespoons of soda crystals to 1 liter of lukewarm water and mix well.
- Soak a soft cloth, wring out and clean the varnished furniture.
- Dry quickly with a new soft, dry cloth to finish.
You can use this soda ash trick on other types of varnished and dirty wood, including cherry for example.
7. Cleaning varnished wood with tea
One last grandma’s trick that works pretty well for cleaning varnished wood is tea!
And yes, here is how to achieve this natural trick:
- Infuse 3 or 4 tea bags in 1 liter of water and let cool completely.
- Dampen a soft cloth and clean the entire piece of furniture.
- Quickly dry the entire surface of the furniture with a new microfiber cloth.
Different than conventional wooden furniture, here are some tips for rattan maintenance: How to clean varnished rattan?