How to descale everything naturally?
It is normal to see scale appear in appliances that use water. This is the case of the coffee maker, washing machine, iron, etc. And of course, we also find tartar on the surface of our teeth! The accumulation of scale can lead to various problems: for household appliances, limescale deposits eventually prevent their proper functioning. For teeth, this buildup can cause cavities and gum disease.
If you are not fond of harsh methods or using chemicals, know that there are natural ways to get rid of tartar. 10 tips offers you the best tips to descale everything naturally at home.
1. Descale a washing machine naturally
A scaled-up washing machine will struggle to wash your clothes well and could even leave marks on them. To naturally descale a very dirty washing machine, you must:
- Pour 1 liter of pure white vinegar and also sprinkle the seals, the detergent drawers and the drum
- Leave the vinegar to act all day or all night
- Complete washing machine descaling with a full hot water cycle
Also, to maintain the washing machine and thus avoid scale, get into the habit of pouring 1 cup of vinegar into each wash. Not only will this prevent tartar buildup, it will also soften your clothes naturally.
To descale a kettle easily and naturally, all you need to do is:
- Pour a cup of white vinegar and fill it with water
- Bring the water to a boil before turning off the appliance.
- Leave to act for a few minutes and rinse with plenty of water to complete the descaling
In addition to vinegar, several other tips can be effective for washing a kettle as you can read here: How to descale an electric kettle?
You can also descale a kettle with citric acid:
- Pour 1 liter of water into the kettle
- Add 2 tablespoons of citric acid
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse well
Lemon juice can also be used to descale a kettle:
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into 1 liter of water
- Pour everything into the kettle and bring to the boil.
- Turn off the kettle as soon as the water boils and leave to act for a few minutes before rinsing
Lemon juice mixed with table salt is also effective against limescale: How to dissolve lime?
A scaled coffee maker will flow less well and the taste of the coffee will also be altered. To rediscover the pleasures of a good coffee in the morning, regularly descale your coffee maker with white vinegar. To do this,
- Fill the tank with pure white vinegar and start the coffee maker
- Let it run while there is vinegar
- When the coffee maker is finally empty, run two water cycles to rinse the appliance thoroughly.
Another all-natural way to descale a coffee maker is with baking soda. In the tank of the device,
- Pour a mixture of one liter of cold water and two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Then start the coffee maker and let it run.
- When the mixture has completely run out, repeat the same operation 2 or 3 times to rinse your coffee maker.
If you don’t have baking soda at home here is one at the best price:
- Natural and effective product to clean everything
- Deodorizes and descales naturally
- TOP quality price!
4. Descale an iron
If you use tap water to fill your iron instead of demineralised water, it will soon become covered with limescale. Here is how to descale an iron:
- Pour a glass of pure white vinegar and top up with water
- Turn on the iron and put in steam mode until it has escaped
- Operate the iron and pass it over an old cloth to remove the residue that will have come off
There you go, it’s the best trick to quickly descale an iron naturally!
As for the descaling and cleaning of an iron, here are our tips for a central: How to descale a steam generator?
5. Descaling a heavily scaled toilet
Toilets also need a good descaling from time to time. To do this you need:
- Empty as much water as possible from the toilet bowl
- Pour pure white vinegar into the bowl
- Leave to act overnight and flush the toilet to complete the descaling
To increase the effectiveness of vinegar, you can also combine it with baking soda. Proceed in the same way as before.
Coca-Cola and fresh lemon juice can also be used to descale toilets. Here’s how:
- Empty the bowl as much as possible
- Pour an entire bottle of cola or lemon juice
- Leave to act overnight before activating the flush to complete the cleaning
The easiest way to descale your dishwasher is to pour 5 liters of pure white vinegar into it and run it through an empty cycle in the hottest water possible.
You can also descale your dishwasher by putting half a cup of baking soda in it and running it through an empty cycle with very hot water.
Another alternative is to pour a cup of fresh lemon juice in it, and proceed as for vinegar or baking soda.
If you don’t pay attention to the hygiene of your mouth, tartar can end up causing certain gum diseases. Between visits to the dentist, try these different tips to remove tartar from your teeth:
Dip your wet toothbrush in a little baking soda, and brush your teeth as usual. In addition to cleaning your teeth well, baking soda will help whiten them.
Activated carbon of vegetable origin:
Dampen your toothbrush then sprinkle it with a little activated charcoal. Brush your teeth and rinse well.
Tea tree essential oil:
In addition to its antibacterial properties, this essential oil could contribute to the health of your teeth and your mouth in general. Apply a drop to your toothbrush, and brush your teeth and gums before spitting out and rinsing.
Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, coconut oil also has whitening properties. To clean your teeth, take 2 teaspoons in your mouth and swirl around in your mouth for about 20 minutes. Spit it out and rinse your mouth well with water.
Lemon and white vinegar:
Squeeze the juice from half a lemon and mix it with 2 teaspoons of white vinegar. Brush your teeth with this mixture once a day, but not more than for a week so as not to damage the enamel of your teeth.