How to use essential oils for hair?
Essential oils are extracted from plants by methods such as distillation or evaporation. Although essential oils are best known for their aromatic abilities, they also contain strong chemical properties that can benefit health.
A benefit of certain essential oils is improved hair health. These essential oils can help hair grow, but also give it strength and shine. Would you like to improve the health of your hair with essential oils?
Here is our list of the best essential oils for hair and how to use essential oils on hair.
Generally, essential oils cannot be used directly on the scalp. Many of them can be very irritating, depending on the dose you use. In cosmetic products, their concentrations are controlled to avoid any allergic reaction.
They must be diluted in a base oil or butter such as jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil, beeswax, etc. They are generally used at a maximum dilution of 2%.
If you are using essential oils for the first time, it is best to test some of your diluted mixture on the skin for 24 hours.
2. Lavender essential oil for hair
Lavender oil can speed up hair growth. Knowing that lavender oil has properties capable of generating cell growth and reducing stress, researchers in an animal study demonstrated that this oil helped generate faster hair growth in mice.
It also has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, which can improve scalp health. It is also an excellent essential oil for those struggling with oily hair.
How to use lavender essential oil for hair?
- Mix several drops of lavender essential oil in 3 tablespoons of neutral oil, such as olive oil or melted coconut oil.
- Apply the oil mixture directly to your scalp.
- Leave on for at least 10 minutes before shampooing as you normally would.
You can do this lavender oil treatment several times a week.
This oil can also be used with her hairbrush to give a sweet fragrance to the hair. More tips and tricks here: What to do with smelly hair?
3. Peppermint essential oil for hair loss
Peppermint oil can cause a cold and tingling sensation by increasing circulation to the area it is applied to. It can also help hair grow faster during the growth phase.
How to use peppermint essential oil for hair?
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint essential oil with a neutral oil of your choice.
- Massage into scalp and leave on for 5 minutes before washing thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner.
4. Rosemary essential oil for hair growth
If you want to improve both hair thickness and growthrosemary oil is an excellent choice thanks to its ability to improve cell generation.
According to one study, rosemary oil is as effective as Minoxidil, a commonly used hair growth treatment, but less itchy on the scalp.
Additionally, rosemary essential oil helps fight dandruff and is a good essential oil for oily hair.
How to use rosemary essential oil for hair?
- Mix several drops of rosemary oil with olive or coconut oil.
- Apply to your scalp and leave on for at least 10 minutes before shampooing.
Do this rosemary oil treatment twice a week for best results on your hair.
Rosemary essential oil
- 100% pure and natural rosemary oils
- Helps hair growth
- For a multitude of home remedies and tips
5. Lemongrass essential oil against dandruff
Dandruff is a common condition and a healthy, dandruff-free scalp is an important part of healthy hair.
Lemongrass oil is an effective dandruff treatment. A 2015 study showed that it significantly reduced dandruff after one week.
How to use lemongrass essential oil against dandruff?
Lemongrass oil against dandruff is most effective when used daily. Add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner each day and make sure it is massaged well into your scalp.
Green tea is also useful against dandruff problems as you will discover here: Green tea for hair.
6. Ylang-ylang essential oil against dry hair
While those with oily hair will want to avoid this oil, Ylang-ylang oil is ideal for those with a dry scalp, as it can stimulate sebum production.
As the lack of oil and sebum causes hair to become dry and brittle, ylang-ylang can improve hair texture and prevent it from becoming brittle.
How to use ylang-ylang for dry hair?
- Mix 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil with 2 tablespoons of warm neutral oil.
- Massage your scalp and wrap your head with a warm towel.
- Leave on for 30 minutes before shampooing.
7. Other essential oils for hair
Lemon essential oil: Gives golden highlights, can be used as a treatment for dry scalp and dandruff, helps balance the scalp’s natural oils
Cedar essential oil: Normalizes dry and oily scalp, stimulates scalp and hair follicles. Can be used to treat hair loss and dandruff and has antiseptic and astringent properties
Chamomile essential oil: Gives golden highlights, conditions hair and soothes inflamed scalp. Plus, it helps scalps with psoriasis
Eucalyptus essential oil: For its part, this oil is antiseptic and will help in the treatment of dandruff
If you are looking for other products and tips to have beautiful hair, this article should please you: Product for beautiful hair.