How to make a potpourri yourself? Potpourri is an excellent way to naturally perfume the house but also the car. So instead of buying it ready made why not make it yourself?
I am offering you today on 10 Tips some simple recipes for homemade and natural potpourri.
Tips for making your own potpourri:
1. Dry the ingredients for the potpourri
Before thinking about the different possible potpourri recipes, it is important to know how to properly dry the different ingredients.
The quick drying method:
The best way to effectively and quickly dry the various potpourri ingredients is to use the oven. Here’s how:
- Line the bottom of a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Arrange the barks, flowers, peels, leaves and other ingredients on the parchment paper.
- Put in the oven at around 100°C for 1 to 2 hours depending on the ingredients
Take care to regularly check the state of the ingredients of your potpourri during the drying to avoid burning them and thus having to start from the beginning.
2. Citrus Potpourri Recipe
Personally I love the smell of citrus fruits and this is also the case for potpourri. So here is a “relatively” simple recipe for a potpourri featuring citrus fruits.
Here are the ingredients you need for this first potpourri:
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- lemon essential oil
- orange essential oil
Once all the ingredients are gathered here is what to do:
- Cut the orange and lemon into very thin slices.
- Place in the oven for about 2 hours at 100°C to dry them well.
- Leave to cool and place them in a container with all the other ingredients.
- Add a few drops of lemon and orange essential oil to finish.
3. Make a potpourri with flowers and plants
Flowers are a great choice for making homemade potpourri. Here is a simple recipe that you can customize according to the flowers and scents you like:
For this recipe, you can dry the flowers yourself or buy fragrant flowers and leaves sold in stores or online that are already dried.
You can choose for example these flowers and leaves for your potpourri
- rose pedals
- peppermint leaves
- carnation flowers
- lavender flowers
- peony flowers
Arrange the flowers of your choice in a jar and add a few drops of essential oil of your choice to enhance the scents.
4. A dry potpourri for the bedroom
If you want to create a potpourri for the bedroom, it is important to choose the ingredients that will compose it.
Indeed, as the bedroom is a place of rest and relaxation, it is better to choose flowers and scents that will help you sleep well and relax.
Here is the list of dry ingredients to make this restful potpourri:
- 3 tablespoons dried lavender
- 1 1/2 cup dried hops
- 1 1/2 cups dried rose petals
- 1 tablespoon of cloves
- 5 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil
The steps to concoct this relaxing potpourri:
- Place, mix and coarsely crush all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil and mix well.
- Place all the mixture in a cloth envelope or other small bag (for potpourri).
You can place the potpourri sachet on the nightstand or even better directly under the pillow. You will quickly feel rested and very calm.
5. Make homemade Christmas potpourri
I don’t know about you, but for my part, I love good smells and especially comforting and warm smells during the holidays.
Here is a Christmas potpourri recipe starting with the ingredients:
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 fir branch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- cinnamon powder
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 vanilla pod
- Balsam fir essential oil
Here are the steps to create this “special” Christmas potpourri:
- Cut thin slices of orange or other citrus fruits of your choice and dry them in the oven (see the drying procedure earlier in this article).
- While drying in the oven, sprinkle the orange slices with cinnamon powder.
- Leave to cool and mix all the ingredients together in a glass jar.
- Add 5 to 10 drops of balsam fir essential oil and mix everything together.