How do I clean the insert glass?
A properly functioning wood-burning fireplace is a great luxury to have during the colder winter months, and a great selling point if you’re in the market to buy or sell. But with a wood-burning fireplace, comes a lot of responsibility.
To keep your fireplace running smoothly, proper cleaning and maintenance should be your priority. And to keep your fireplace looking like new, it’s essential to clean the insert glass regularly. There are a few basic methods for cleaning soot from your fireplace glass. Here are our tips and tricks for cleaning the glass of the insert.
1. Clean the glass of the fireplace insert naturally
A smart and natural way to clean your fireplace glass is to use a newspaper or paper towel and ashes from the fireplace or wood stove. To do this:
- Take a damp paper towel or a sheet of newspaper and sprinkle it with ashes.
- Rub the glass in a circular motion to loosen the stuck-on soot.
- Repeat several times, or until soot is completely removed.
- Finish with regular glass cleaner and a paper towel so you don’t leave streaks on the insert glass.
2. A natural trick to clean the glass of the insert
For natural cleaning of the fireplace insert glass:
- Sprinkle clay stone on a damp sponge and rub the glass of the insert with a circular motion.
- When the soot is loosened, wipe with a clean, dry cloth.
- Wash the insert glass with a paper towel and glass and window cleaner to finish.
3. A homemade solution to clean the glass of the insert
Another effective way to clean the heavily soiled insert glass of your fireplace or wood-burning stove is to use pure white vinegar combined with ammonia.
Make a homemade cleaning solution by mixing:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon of ammonia
Pour everything into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the glass of the insert and let it act for 30 seconds. With a clean cloth, rub in a circular motion until the soot comes off.
Repeat 2 or 3 times until the glass of the insert is clean.
Are you also looking for a way to remove a soot stain from a wall or floor? Follow this link to learn how: How to clean soot?
4. Clean the glass of a wood stove with white vinegar
To clean the glass of your wood stove or fireplace as naturally as possible:
- Soak a sponge or newspaper in pure white vinegar.
- Scrub the glass of the insert, until the soot is eliminated.
If the glass of the insert is very dirty, sprinkle a little fine salt on your sponge soaked in vinegar, and rub. Rinse well to remove any residue.
Also effective for cleaning heavily soiled windows!
And yes, you can also use white vinegar for cleaning windows and windows as you will discover here: How to wash very dirty windows?
5. Soda crystals to clean the glass of the insert
Soda crystals can also be used to clean a very dirty insert window. To do this,
- Sprinkle soda crystals on a sponge soaked in hot water.
- Rub with circular motions until the soot comes off the insert.
Remember to wear gloves to protect your hands.
6. Clean the glass of the insert with lemon juice
Fresh lemon juice can also be used to wash the glass of a wood stove or fireplace insert.
Just squeeze the juice and strain it, then soak a sponge or newspaper in it, and rub until the soot comes off the glass.
7. Clean the insert glass in the dishwasher
If the glass of your fireplace insert is not too big and you can remove it, wash it in the dishwasher at low temperature.
It would be wise to use a delicate cycle to be sure not to damage the glass of the insert.
8. Baking soda to clean the glass of the insert
To naturally clean the glass of your wood stove insert:
- Spray a skin of water on the glass and sprinkle with baking soda.
- Rub with a sponge soaked in white vinegar.
- Rinse well with a damp cloth to remove traces of baking soda.
9. Liquid dish soap for the insert glass
Why not just use liquid dish soap to clean it all up?
- Place a drop or two of liquid dish soap on a damp cloth, and rub in circular motions.
- Leave to act for a few minutes, then scrape with a squeegee.
- Rinse and wipe to finish spot cleaning.
10. A steam cleaner for the glass of the insert
If you have a steam cleaner at home, you can use it to clean the glass of your fireplace insert or wood stove.
This is probably the quickest and most effective trick for cleaning up anything that’s dirty.
11. Homemade fireplace insert glass cleaner
Here is a homemade recipe for insert glass cleaner:
- 2 tablespoons of white Meudon
- 1 tablespoon of ammonia
- 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol
- A little white vinegar
- 2-3 drops of liquid dish soap
- Water to supplement
Mix the ingredients well, and apply the solution to the glass of the insert while rubbing. Leave on for a few minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
12. Oven cleaners to wash the insert glass
The same products that you use to clean the glass of your oven can be used to wash the glass of your hearth insert.
Just follow the directions on the product and you should get good results.
13. Products for cleaning the glass of the insert
You will find on the market products specifically designed to clean the glass of the insert of fireplaces and wood stoves.
Of course, these products are chemical but they are generally very effective in cleaning the glass of the insert which is very dirty.