How do you clean vomit from carpets and rugs?
A vomit stain on a carpet or rug can be difficult to remove… But not impossible! The most important thing is to clean this stain as soon as possible.
Here are some effective tips and tricks for removing vomit from a carpet or rug.
1. Remove vomit from carpet with baking soda
Baking soda is a great grandma’s trick for cleaning and removing the bad smell of vomit from carpets, rugs and other fabric furniture.
So here’s how to clean up that vomit easily:
Remove as much of the vomit as possible with a paper towel, being careful not to encrust the fabric with any more vomit.
- Sprinkle the vomit with baking soda and let it sit for ten minutes.
- Remove most of the remaining vomit again with paper towel.
- Pour sparkling water over the remaining stain to remove the halos on the carpet.
- Pat dry the carpet or rug with a dry cloth or paper towel.
2. Clean vomit on a carpet with 70° alcohol
A grandmother’s trick that works very well against vomit stains on a carpet is 70° alcohol. Here’s how to do this trick:
- Mix an equal amount of 70° alcohol with water in a bowl.
- Soak a cloth or sponge in this solution and dab the vomit stain.
- Rinse the carpet surface with a new damp cloth and allow to dry.
If there are still traces of vomit on the carpet, you can continue this trick by sprinkling the stain with baking soda or using club soda.
3. Stain vomit-stained carpet with vinegar
Vinegar is another natural product to always have around the house. Vinegar makes it possible to clean a multitude of surfaces and remove the most stubborn stains.
Here is how to use vinegar on a carpet or rug:
- Add 2 cups of white vinegar and 1 cup of water to a spray bottle.
- Spray the stain with dry vomit, leave for 10 minutes and dab the stain with a cloth.
- Once the bulk of the stain has been removed, scrub again with a brush and rinse with a damp cloth.
When you rub the stain with the brush, you can add a few drops of essential oil to deodorize and also eliminate the smell of vomit.
4. Clean dry vomit on carpet with hydrogen peroxide
If you are looking for the best way to clean an old vomit stain on a rug, carpet or other fabric surfaces then hydrogen peroxide is the solution!
- Mix an equal measure of liquid dish soap with hydrogen peroxide.
- Pour the mixture directly onto the vomit stain on the carpet and leave for 20 minutes.
- Then rub and lather the vomit stain with a cloth and then dab with a dry cloth.
- Rinse the rug with a cloth to thoroughly remove all the soap and allow to dry to finish.
This trick also works well for removing a vomit stain from a fabric sofa or even a mattress.
5. Grandma’s recipe for removing vomit from a carpet
Here’s my final tip to help you get vomit out of carpet or rug naturally:
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and add 1 tablespoon of soda crystals.
- Wear dish gloves and soak a rag in the solution and soak a rag.
- Then dab the vomit stain, blot with a paper towel and repeat until the stain is completely gone.
You can also start this trick by pouring soda water to clean most of the vomit on the carpet.