How to clean the bottom of a kettle? White vinegar, descaling product, baking soda, there are many tips and products for cleaning the inside of a kettle.
In this article, I present to you my best tips and tricks for cleaning and descaling an electric kettle or not. Happy cleaning!
Tips for cleaning and descaling a kettle:
1. Remove scale from the bottom of a kettle
The first tip for cleaning and removing all traces of limescale from the bottom of a kettle is to use white vinegar!
Indeed, regardless of the type of kettle, white vinegar is very effective in dissolving and descaling the inside of the kettle. Here’s how:
- Fill the kettle with equal amounts of white vinegar and water.
- Boil for a few minutes and empty the kettle.
- Rinse with water to remove all limescale residue.
You can use the white vinegar trick to descale and clean just about anything in the kitchen and bathroom!
2. Descale a kettle with baking soda
Another very effective trick to descale the bottom of an electric kettle is a mixture of water and baking soda.
- Pour about 1 liter of water into the kettle.
- Add 3 teaspoons of baking soda in the water.
- Boil and leave for a few minutes.
- Empty and rinse to finish cleaning the kettle.
You can also boil some water and lemon juice to effectively descale the bottom of an electric kettle.
3. Prevent scale deposits in a kettle
Now that you have completely descaled the inside of the kettle, how about preventing a new appearance of limestone?
There are indeed products to help prevent limescale deposits in a kettle or in the washing machine, the carafe or in the coffee maker.
If your water is very hard at home then here is a product to put directly in the kettle:
- Effective and easy to use anti-scaling product
- For kettle, washing machine, coffee maker and dishwasher
- Also improves the taste of water
4. Make a stainless steel kettle shine!
Now that you know how to clean and descale the inside of the kettle, here is a simple tip for cleaning the stainless steel surface.
- Pour a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth or sponge.
- Scrub the entire stainless steel surface of the kettle, insisting on the stains.
- Rub and dry the surface with a dry microfiber cloth to finish.
You can also use dishwasher rinse aid to clean and shine a stainless steel kettle.
5. Clean a copper kettle
Do you have a nice old copper kettle at home? This type of kettle was very popular in the past before electric models arrived in our homes.
So if you are the proud owner of a copper kettle, here is how to properly maintain and clean it:
- Add 3 tablespoons of soda crystals in 2 cups of water.
- Mix well to completely dissolve the soda crystals.
- Soak a soft cloth in this solution and rub the copper.
- Rinse and dry to finish cleaning the kettle.
6. Why not change the kettle?
If you have a very old kettle at home, maybe it’s time to change it? Indeed, over the years, the inside of the kettle can slowly disintegrate and drop unwanted residues and deposits into your water here and there.
I recommend that you buy this kettle which has an excellent value for money!
Russel Hobbs Kettle
- Shiny all-steel kettle
- Rapid boil (cup in 50 seconds)
- Splash-free spout
- With limescale filter