How to deep clean a shower curtain? If you don’t take the time to wash the shower curtain, you risk seeing mold, soap and lime stains and other greasy stains that are difficult to clean.
The shower gets a lot of use in our house, so here are my own tips and tricks for washing the shower curtain.
1. Machine wash a shower curtain
We don’t always think about it, but it is quite possible to wash the shower curtain directly in the washing machine.
Indeed, the majority of polyester, cotton and vinyl shower curtains can be machine cleaned. Check the washing instructions to be sure.
Here’s how to clean it in the washing machine:
- Select a wash cycle with a water temperature of 40°C.
- Select a cycle with slow spin to avoid damaging the curtain (especially for the plastic shower curtain).
- Air dry by installing the curtain directly in its place where the shower (never in the dryer).
If your shower is very dirty, both the tiles and the glass door, then come and read these other tips: How to remove soap scum in the shower?
2. Clean the plastic shower curtain with vinegar
If you like to use natural cleaning products then you can use white vinegar to stain your plastic shower curtain!
Here is what to do to properly clean the curtain:
- Unhook and place the shower curtain directly on the floor, flat.
- Soak a cloth in pure white vinegar and rub the shower curtain, paying particular attention to the stains.
- Rinse and finish with a machine wash for thorough cleaning.
3. A warm soapy water bath
For regular cleaning of the shower curtain, soapy water is usually sufficient to remove soap and shampoo stains.
Simple and easy, here’s how:
- Fill the tub with hot water and pour in some liquid dish soap.
- Drop the shower curtain into the water and let it soak for a while.
- Rub and then remove the soap stains with a sponge and rinse.
- Hang up the shower curtain in its place and let it dry.
4. Detach the shower curtain with baking soda
If you notice stubborn stains or yellowing of your shower curtain then baking soda is the best solution.
Clean the shower curtain by hand:
- Mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 liter of water (lukewarm) in a bowl.
- Soak a cloth or better a sponge and rub the entire surface of the shower curtain.
- Rinse with a cloth and water and air dry to finish.
You can also add 1/2 cup of baking soda directly to the washing machine to whiten the shower curtain faster.
5. Wash the curtain with Savon de Marseille
Another natural cleaning product to use for scrubbing and cleaning a shower curtain is Marseille soap.
Here’s how to use it on a cotton shower curtain:
- Pick up and drop the shower curtain on the bathroom floor.
- Moisten the curtain and rub with a cloth and Marseille soap.
- Rinse the curtain with the shower telephone and hang to dry.
Marseille soap is used for a multitude of things around the house:
- clean floors and tiles
- clean and shine the bathtub and the sink (in enamel)
- disinfect work surfaces
- To do the laundry
- detach textiles
- deodorize cabinets
6. Other tips for cleaning a shower curtain:
Here are 2 more tips and tricks that can be used to clean and remove mold from a shower curtain.
- Household alcohol: Pour rubbing alcohol on a swab and rub the stains on the shower curtain. Rinse the curtain thoroughly and dry immediately.
- Ammonia: Mix water and ammonia and with a sponge rub the stains. Then rinse the shower curtain and let it dry.
Let’s continue with other shower tips and tricks with this article: How to clean a limescale shower head?