How to clean a toaster? A good « toast » for breakfast I love and my children too! But over time the crumbs multiply inside the toaster.
For both the exterior and interior of the appliance, here are my top tips for cleaning a toaster. Happy cleaning!
1. Clean the crumbs in a toaster
All new toasters have a system that makes it easy to remove bread crumbs and seeds that fall inside the toaster.
It is a sliding crumb tray that looks like a small drawer that you pull out to remove bread crumbs. It is located at the bottom and rear of the toaster.
To avoid too much accumulation, it is advisable to clean the crumbs every week, especially if many of you eat toast for breakfast.
2. Clean the inside of the toaster with a toothbrush
If you are not diligent in cleaning the toaster then over time crumbs and other dirt can become difficult to remove.
Here’s how to clean the inside of the toaster:
- Start by unplugging the toaster and finding an old toothbrush.
- Brush the inside of the bath rack with the toothbrush to loosen and remove crumbs and pieces of bread.
- Remove the bread pieces from the crumb tray to finish.
You can also use an old brush which will be even more effective in removing all the pieces of bread on the grids.
3. Flip the toaster upside down
This tip for cleaning and removing bread crumbs must be done delicately so as not to break the toaster.
Not all old toasters have a crumb tray, so the solution is to turn it upside down over the trash can or the kitchen sink.
Gently shake the toaster!
To knock out all the crumbs and pieces of bread trapped inside the toaster, gently shake the appliance up and down and left and right.
4. Revive the white color of the toaster
If your toaster is white, you can restore it to its beautiful white color easily with this cleaning tip:
- Add baking soda to 4 cups of hot water.
- Add a capful of bleach and mix well.
- Dampen a sponge or cloth and clean the entire exterior surface of the toaster.
For a toaster of a color other than white, you must replace the bleach with liquid dish soap or better with liquid detergent.
5. Tip for cleaning a stainless steel toaster
If you too have a stainless steel toaster, you know how frequent fingerprints and stains are, right?
Here is a tip for cleaning stainless steel:
- Add an equal part of vinegar and hot water to a container.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Soak a cloth or sponge in this solution and rub the stainless steel.
- Dry and polish the stainless steel of the toaster with a microfiber cloth to finish.
6. Clean stains on a metal toaster
If your toaster is made of a metal surface then the rubbing alcohol trick is best. Super easy, here’s how:
- Pour a few drops of alcohol on a cloth or paper towel.
- Clean the entire metal surface by rubbing more on stains and fingerprints.
If you are also looking for tips for washing the inside of the microwave then this other article offers you several: How to clean a microwave oven?