How to clean an acrylic bathtub easily?
The acrylic bathtub is certainly the most popular and most common bathtub model in people’s bathrooms. As with other acrylic objects, it is important to give them good maintenance and occasional cleaning.
Today I offer you some good tips and tricks to clean and shine your acrylic bathtub. Happy cleaning!
1. Clean acrylic with warm soapy water
Although there are products specifically designed for cleaning the sink or the acrylic bathtub (I suggest a cleaning product below, on this page) homemade solutions also exist.
Simple as it is, soapy water can be used very well for the maintenance and regular cleaning of the bathtub and acrylic accessories.
- Pour a skinful of hot water into the bottom of the tub and add liquid dish soap.
- Leave to act for a few minutes and rub the entire interior of the tub with a cloth or sponge (non-abrasive).
- Continue cleaning but this time from the outside of the tub with a new clean cloth.
Soapy water is also recommended for the maintenance and cleaning of the enameled cast iron bathtub.
2. Clean an acrylic bathtub with white vinegar
Another grandma’s recipe that can be useful for cleaning and removing dark circle stains from an acrylic bathtub is a mixture of water and vinegar.
Here’s how to prepare this cleaning tip:
- Fill the bathtub with warm or hot water (half the bath is enough).
- Add 2 to 3 cups of white vinegar and leave to act for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the water from the bathtub and rub at the same time with a cloth or sponge the entire surface of the bath.
- Rinse the inside of the tub to complete the cleaning.
The vinegar will help remove dirt and dark circle stains from the acrylic bath surface.
3. Remove stains with glass cleaner
The glass cleaner that you already use at home to shine glass, windows and mirrors can also be a good ally to shine an acrylic bathtub.
The glass cleaner is effective in cleaning and removing stains and rings that may form inside the tub.
Simply spray the product on the stains and leave to act for a few moments before rubbing (with a cloth or sponge) and rinsing the surface to complete the cleaning.
4. Remove stubborn stain from acrylic
If you notice the presence of stubborn and well-encrusted stains inside or outside your acrylic bathtub, we have a solution to offer you: toothpaste!
Indeed, white paste toothpaste is often used for cleaning tips. Here’s how to use it in the bathroom:
- Apply toothpaste to the stain, taking care to cover the entire stain.
- Leave to act for a few minutes and rub with a dry, soft cloth.
- Rinse, dry and repeat as needed if the stain is still visible on the bath surface.
5. Clean a stain in an acrylic tub
Another natural trick and product that you can use to remove a stubborn stain from an acrylic tub is clay stone.
Personally I use clay stone for a multitude of tasks and surfaces in the house and in the garden (eg for plastic garden furniture).
Here’s how to use it to detach a tub:
- Dampen a cloth or sponge and rub a little clay stone.
- Gently rub the stain with the cloth and clay stone using circular motions.
- Repeat until stain is completely gone and rinse to finish.
- Cleans without scratching or damaging surfaces
- Cleans almost any surface
- Great cleaner, degreaser and limescale remover
You can also use a magic sponge:
Functioning a bit like a clay stone or even baking soda, the magic sponge is also very effective in removing stubborn stains on a multitude of surfaces.
You will easily find magic « eraser » sponges in stores or online at low prices.
6. Remove limescale stains from an acrylic bathtub
If you notice limescale stains and deposits or very stubborn stains in the acrylic bathtub or in the shower tray then here are 2 effective recipes to test.
The first baking soda trick:
- Mix some water with baking soda and form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the lime stain and leave to act for a few minutes.
- Rub with a cloth for the stain and rinse to finish.
The second trick based on vinegar and lemon juice:
- Mix white vinegar with lemon juice in equal quantity.
- Spray the solution on the limescale stain and leave to act for a few minutes.
- Rub with a soft cloth and rinse with warm water to finish.
7. Cleaner to clean acrylic
As I mentioned earlier in this article, it is also possible to buy a real cleaning product for acrylic surfaces, including the bathtub and the bathroom sink.
Here is the Special Acrylic Sanitary Cleaner from SPADO:
8. Never use an abrasive product to clean acrylic
Whether it is a bathtub, a washbasin or other acrylic accessories, you should never use an abrasive product to clean it.
This type of sponge and brush can indeed scratch and permanently damage the acrylic surface of the bathtub.
So it is better to use a sponge or a soft cloth and rub a little harder than to use a sponge that is « too » abrasive and thus risk damaging the bathtub.