How to clean an iron? To avoid stains and nicks on the linen, it is important to thoroughly clean the soleplate and the holes of the iron.
Here are my tips and tricks for cleaning an iron so it looks like new!
1. Clean the soleplate of the iron with baking soda
If the iron does not glide well on the clothes or worse leaves traces and stains on the linen, you must quickly clean the soleplate.
Use baking soda to clean the soleplate of the iron:
- Mix an equal amount of cold water and baking soda and mix well.
- Form a paste and rub the entire soleplate of the iron with a cloth.
- Use a cotton swab to clean the holes in the iron soleplate.
This trick is very effective in removing lime stains and other stubborn stains on the soleplate of the iron.
2. Clean the iron soleplate with white vinegar
Hot vinegar is another old-fashioned trick you can use to clean your iron’s soleplate.
- Heat white vinegar with table salt in a saucepan.
- Once the salt has dissolved and the solution is hot, allow it to cool slightly and soak a cloth in the solution.
- Run the hot iron over the cloth soaked in this solution to clean the soleplate.
If stains persist on the soleplate of your iron, rub again with a mixture of water and baking soda.
3. Clean the sticky soleplate of an iron
The most effective solution for cleaning a sticky sole that sticks to clothing is to use a solvent.
- Use a cloth and rub the entire surface of the iron soleplate with a solvent.
For example, you can use a nail polish remover or even acetone for very sticky and encrusted stains on the iron.
4. Clean iron holes
Cleaning and uncluttering the holes under the soleplate of the iron or steam generator is very important for your appliance to work well.
To clean the holes you can use:
- A cotton swab
- A toothpick
- A nail
- A needle, etc.
Personally, I recommend using a cotton swab dipped in white vinegar for a complete cleaning of the holes in the iron.
5. Clean the iron with Marseille soap
If you like natural tips and products like me, then why not use Marseille soap for cleaning the iron?!
- Rub the Marseille soap on the sole of the slightly hot iron (lukewarm, let’s say).
- Use a damp cloth to rub and clean the soleplate of the iron to finish.
- Be careful not to block the holes in the iron with the Marseille soap. If not, use a toothpick to clean the holes before using the device.
If your water is hard and the inside of your iron is very dirty and dirty then I have a good tip to share with you!
Here is how to descale your iron or steam generator:
- Fill the iron tank with an equal amount of water and vinegar.
- Operate the steam generator or iron in steam mode and wait a few minutes.
- Stop the machine and let the vinegar and water solution act for 2 hours.
- Empty the tank, rinse and run the iron on an old towel to thoroughly clean the inside of the iron.
For other tips and products to descale this appliance here is another complete guide to read: How to descale a steam generator?