How to clean and descale a washing machine?
If you want to keep your washing machine in good condition for as long as possible, it is VERY important to descale and maintain it properly. Descaling increases the life of your machine.
Here are my top tips and tricks to naturally descale a heavily scaled washing machine.
1. Descale a washing machine with vinegar
A first trick from grandmother that allows you to descale a washing machine thoroughly is vinegar. Indeed, the vinegar will help to descale and therefore increase the life of your machine.
Here’s how to use white vinegar in your washing machine:
- Do an empty wash by setting the water temperature to 60°C.
- Pour 1 to 2 liters of white vinegar directly into the drum of the machine.
Repeat this trick 2 to 3 times a year to properly descale your washing machine. It is all the more important if your water is « very » calcareous to do this trick regularly.
2. Grandma’s recipe to descale a washing machine naturally
Here’s another old-fashioned vinegar and salt recipe you can make to descale and clean a heavily scaled and clogged washing machine.
- Add 1 liter of white vinegar and 1/3 cup of coarse salt to the drum of the washing machine.
- Run the machine empty and set the cycle temperature to 90°C.
Repeat this cleaning tip 3 to 4 times a year to properly descale the washing machine, especially if your water is very hard.
3. Baking soda for a heavily scaled washing machine
Another trick to naturally descale a washing machine is to use baking soda. Indeed, bicarbonate is a great natural anti-limestone, so it is effective for descaling a washing machine but also for cleaning a dishwasher in depth.
Here is how to descale your washing machine with baking soda:
- Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda directly to the drum.
- Then pour in 1/2 cup of white vinegar or household vinegar.
- Run the machine on the normal empty cycle to begin descaling.
Repeat this trick a few times a year to remove limescale residue in the washing machine.
If you live in the countryside like me, know that baking soda is safe for septic tanks.
4. Soda crystals for a heavily scaled machine
Another natural trick against stains and scale deposits in a washing machine is the use of soda crystals!
Here’s how to do this anti-lime trick:
- Pour the equivalent of a tablespoon of soda crystals directly into the drain of the machine.
- Then pour 2 cups of boiling water down the drain and let the solution sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Run your washing machine empty to finish descaling the machine’s drain.
You can also add to each wash 1/2 teaspoon of soda crystals in the drum to prevent scale formation in the machine.
5. A complete washing machine cleaner
Finally, if you prefer to use a real cleaning product to clean and descale your washing machine then know that there are several.
The advantage of this type of product is that it cleans in depth and in addition to descaling, it eliminates residues, protects the machine over time and deodorizes.
washing machine cleaner
- Cleans, deodorizes and protects the washing machine.
- Effective against lime deposits.
- Leaves a pleasant fresh scent.