How to clean silver jewelry?
Silver chain, bracelet, ring or pendant, with time the silver darkened and tarnished. Fortunately, there are a few tricks to restore the shine to these jewels.
I have some silver jewelry myself so here’s my best tips and tricks for cleaning silver jewelry naturally.
1. A cloth for cleaning silver jewelry
Before going more specifically to cleaning tips and tricks, it is important to talk about cloth. Indeed, the cloth is the key element to clean and polish a silver jewel.
What kind of cloth to use?
For silver jewellery, but also for cleaning gold jewellery, it is important to use a soft, very soft cloth. The microfiber cloth is ideal for cleaning and shining silver and other precious metals.
To wipe and polish silver jewellery, I recommend that you use a cloth specially designed for this jewellery:
Cloth for jewelry
- Cleans and shines all silver jewelry.
- Ideal for preventing tarnishing of jewellery.
- Effectively removes dirt and stains from silver.
2. Clean silver jewelry with baking soda
Already widely used for a multitude of cleaning tips and tricks on 10-Trucs, baking soda is a great cleaner to try with sterling silver jewelry.
Here’s how to pull off this trick using baking soda:
- Mix in a small bowl 1 tablespoon of baking soda with a little water.
- Mix and form a paste (adjust the amounts of water and baking soda as needed).
- Rub and completely cover the silver jewelry with this cleaning paste.
- Let dry completely, rinse, wipe and buff with a soft silver cloth.
3. The silver stone to clean silver jewelry
A great product that you absolutely must have at home and which can clean almost everything is the silver stone.
Indeed, this product based on white clay is ideal for cleaning silver jewelry, but also silverware, pans and other materials. Here’s how to use it to wash your jewelry:
- Use a small, soft-bristled brush and gently scrub the silver jewelry piece with the clay stone.
- Rinse with lukewarm water, dry and polish the jewel with a soft cloth.
The silver stone is a well-kept secret that you absolutely must test to make your silver jewelry shine!
natural silver stone
- Natural, ecological and economical cleaning product.
- Cleans and protects different surfaces and materials.
- Ideal for removing oxidation and cleaning silver jewellery.
4. Wash silver jewelry with white vinegar
White vinegar is a 100% natural cleaning product to use everywhere in the house and why not also to pave your silver jewellery?
Quick and easy, here’s how to make this vinegar trick:
- In a bowl add an equal amount of white vinegar and milk.
- Soak the silver jewelry to be cleaned directly in the solution.
- Leave on for 20 minutes (or more if needed) and then rub them in with a soft cloth.
This trick is ideal for easily cleaning a blackened silver chain or other jewelry that is difficult to clean because of the meshes and small recesses of the jewelry.
5. Lemon juice to wash silver jewelry
Another natural tip for washing that silver jewelry is lemon juice. But be careful not to use this trick on other types of jewelry, because you could damage them.
Here’s how to make this lemon juice trick:
- Dip a toothbrush in the lemon juice and gently rub the jewel.
- Rinse the jewelry quickly and repeat as needed, especially if the silver is badly blackened and tarnished.
- Dry and buff with a soft cloth to finish.
It is important to always use a brush with soft bristles so as not to damage and scratch the silver jewellery.
6. Clean silver jewelry with toothpaste
A grandma’s trick that I personally use to clean and shine different things around the house is toothpaste!
The white paste toothpaste makes it possible to clean and descale various surfaces including silver jewellery.
- Apply toothpaste (white paste only) to the entire surface of the jewelry and leave to act for 10 minutes.
- Gently scrub the jewel with a soft bristle brush, rinse with cold water and dry with a soft cloth.
It’s also important to never use whitening-type toothpaste, as it can damage sterling silver.
7. Wash jewelry with soapy water
Finally, it is better to maintain your silver jewelry regularly to prevent it from tarnishing and darkening over time.
The simple solution is soapy water:
- Mix in a bowl of lukewarm water with liquid dish soap.
- Soak your silver jewelry in the solution and wash it with a brush or cloth.
- Rinse and wipe them with a soft, dry cloth to finish.
8. Other silver jewelry care tips and advice
To prevent your silver jewelry from losing its shine, tarnishing and scratching, here are some practical tips and advice to put into action.
- Store your silver jewelry properly: to avoid scratches, it is best to store the jewelry in its case. Do not let them hang around anywhere in the house.
- A professional cleaning by a jeweler: once in a while, it may be worth having your jewelry and gemstones cleaned by a professional jeweler.
- Use a soft-bristle brush: it is important to always use a brush with soft bristles so as not to scratch the sterling silver.
- Removing jewelry while cleaning: No matter the household chore in the house, you should always remove your jewelry, especially if it is a silver ring or bracelet that may react in contact with water and detergents.
If you are also looking for a way to clean pearls that have yellowed over time, here are some tips that should interest you: How to clean a pearl necklace?