How to clean soot? Soot represents a great cleaning challenge because in contact with water, the soot spreads more on the fabric. But then how is it possible to effectively clean a soot stain on a wall, clothing or any other surface?
10-Trucs presents some of the tips and products that can « effectively » remove soot. Good cleaning and good scrubbing!
1. Vacuum cleaner and soot stain
If you notice soot on a brick wall or near your fireplace and wood stove, the vacuum cleaner may do the trick.
Indeed, the vacuum cleaner is effective in quickly cleaning the soot on
- A brick wall.
- A concrete wall.
- A stone wall.
Don’t forget to clean the nozzle of the vacuum after cleaning the soot because you risk staining all other surfaces.
2. Soda crystals to clean the soot
Soda crystals are useful for performing several tips and tricks on our portal so why not use it to clean some soot?
- Mix hot water and soda crystals in a container.
- Use a sponge and rub the soot stain on the wall or on the floor.
- Repeat until the soot stain is completely gone.
You can replace the soda crystals with baking soda for an equally effective cleaning of the suite.
3. Talc to clean soot without water
If you are looking for a solution to clean a soot stain without having to use water, we have the solution for you!
Talc is actually a product that can be used to remove soot without water, for example on a wallpaper wall.
- Sprinkle talcum powder on a dry cloth and rub the soot stain to remove it.
Breadcrumbs can also be used to dry remove (without water) soot from wallpaper.
4. Remove soot with black soap
Always to clean a wall stained with soot or other stains of the same type, black soap is a product that can be very useful. Here’s how to use it on a wall:
- Mix hot water with a little black soap in a container.
- Using a brush, clean the soot present on the wall or on the floor.
5. Soapy water and white vinegar
If you have soot stains on a wallpaper wall, you can mix equal parts soapy water and vinegar and clean the soot with a sponge.
This soap and vinegar trick is as effective for removing glue as in this article: How to remove glue from clothing?
6. Use an eraser
Another tip for cleaning up a soot-stained wallpaper wall is an eraser! Just rub (gently) the soot stain with this eraser.
Be careful though, the eraser must be absolutely clean because you risk spreading the soot further on the wall.
It can happen that you accidentally stain a fabric sofa with soot, so how do you get it all off? Here are the steps:
- Use the vacuum cleaner to remove excess soot from the fabric (be careful not to rub the fabric too much).
- Mix 1/3 lukewarm water with 1/2 white vinegar and a few drops of liquid dish soap.
- Mix well and rub the soot stain with a sponge and repeat until the soot is gone.
8. Lemon juice for a soot stain on a garment
A soot stain on a garment? Have you thought about using lemon juice as a natural stain remover?
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and clear water.
- Soak the solution on the soot stain and let it work.
- Rinse and finish cleaning in the washing machine.
9. Water and ammonia
Another trick to loosen a soot stain on clothing is ammonia! Here’s how to do this trick:
- Mix a little lukewarm water with ammonia.
- Soak the soot with this mixture and leave to act for a few moments.
- Rub with a pad or a clean cloth the stain.
- Finish with a normal cycle in the washing machine.