How to clean stainless steel in the kitchen? Fridge, coffee machine, oven, dishwasher, many of the stainless steel objects and appliances.
Personally all my appliances are stainless! Here are 10 tips to clean and shine stainless steel easily.
1. Fast cleaning of stainless steel
If your appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, microwave, etc.) are made of stainless steel, a quick cleaning is a good idea.
Get into the habit of cleaning stainless steel appliances daily to prevent dust, dirt and stains from building up over time.
Here is the correct method for washing stainless steel:
- Use a soft microfiber cloth with soapy water.
- Wring the cloth well and clean the entire surface of the stainless steel.
- Dry with a new soft, dry cloth to avoid streaks.
For soapy water you can use liquid dish soap that you simply mix with lukewarm water.
2. Clean following the grain of the stainless steel
Maybe you didn’t know it, but there is a sense of grain on stainless steel, just like on a wooden surface.
So regardless of the natural or commercial product you use to wash stainless steel, you must always follow the grain direction. If you look closely you will see very fine lines on the surface of the Stainless.
The more you clean and maintain your stainless steel appliances, the more resistant the stainless steel will be to food stains and children’s fingerprints.
3. A little vinegar for stubborn stains on stainless steel
Vinegar is a very popular cleaning product and has been used for decades to clean everything around the house.
Here’s how to use it to clean stains on stainless steel:
- Mix an equal amount of white vinegar and water.
- Dampen a cloth with this solution and rub the stains.
- Rinse with a cloth and soapy water and dry.
It is important never to clean the stainless with pure vinegar or worse bleach because you risk damaging the surface permanently.
4. Shine the stainless with rubbing alcohol
If you don’t get into the habit of regularly washing your small and large appliances, the stainless steel will become dull and lackluster.
Here’s how to make stainless steel appliances shine:
- Moisten a soft cloth with a little water and add a few drops of rubbing alcohol.
- Wash and rub in the direction of the grain the entire stainless steel surface.
- Dry the stainless steel with paper towels to shine.
You can also use a microfiber cloth to dry and polish the stainless steel.
5. Homemade recipe for cleaning stainless steel
If you like grandmother’s recipes and remedies, here is one for cleaning a refrigerator, a dishwasher or other stainless steel appliances:
- Fill a cup with hot water
- Add 5 drops of lemon essential oil
- Add 2 drops of liquid detergent to the solution
- Mix well and wash the stainless steel with a soft cloth and this solution.
6. Wash stainless steel with baking soda and water
Although powdered baking soda is somewhat abrasive, if mixed well and dissolved in water it can be a great cleaner for your stainless steel appliances.
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water.
- Dampen a cloth or sponge and clean the stainless steel.
- Rinse with a new cloth and water and dry with paper towels to finish.
7. Tips for maintaining stainless steel appliances
It is important to be careful with stainless steel which can be easily scratched and damaged if you are not careful. Removing a scratch on stainless steel is not always easy so it is better to prevent and avoid certain cleaning products.
Here are some important things not to do:
- Never use bleach to remove stains from stainless steel.
- Never use powdered products because you risk scratching the stainless.
- Never use abrasive sponges or worse steel wool.
- Never leave food stains on stainless steel for too long.
- Be careful with your jewelry (ring, watch) so as not to scratch the appliances.