How to have always clean nails?
Whether it’s your own nails or those of your children, nails get dirty easily, especially if you play in the dirt or work in the garden.
With children you quickly realize how dirty the nails can become quickly. Here are 10 tips and tricks for cleaning your nails properly.
1. Clean dirty nails with a lemon
A first natural and really very effective trick for cleaning under the nails is that of lemon. Indeed, if your nails are dirty and even black because of gardening work in the vegetable patch, Here’s what you can do to clean them properly:
- Remove all the skin (rind) from one lemon.
- Rub the dirty nail with the inside of a peel.
- Rinse and repeat until your nails are clean.
In addition to cleaning the nails, lemon juice can also be useful for whitening the nails.
Looking for nail whitening tips?
If you are looking more specifically for tips to have white and shiny nails then this other article is to read: How to whiten your nails naturally?
2. A brush to clean under the nails
Cleaning the nails is not too difficult, but cleaning well under the nails to remove dirt and deeply encrusted soil requires a little more time.
Use a nail brush!
A product that you absolutely must have at home is the nail brush. To clean it and remove the black under the nails, but also from the hands, it’s really a product to have in your bathroom.
As there are all kinds and shapes, I thought I’d bring you this very popular model of brush and with good reviews on Amazon:
Nail and hand brush
- Removes the most stubborn dirt on and under the nails.
- Wooden brush with boar bristles.
- Easy, fast and effective for nails and hands.
3. Clean nails with baking soda
If the dirt is really encrusted on your nails and on your hands, then how about testing a little homemade recipe against dirty and black nails? Here is how to do nail cleaning with di bicarbonate:
- Mix a little water with baking soda and form a sort of semi-liquid paste.
- Dip a toothbrush or your hand brush into the mixture and scrub the nails well.
- Rinse hands and repeat if you still notice black spots on nails and fingers.
In addition to being an excellent cleaning tip for the nails of the hands and feet, this paste of water and baking soda helps to whiten nails that are yellowing.
4. Soak your nails in hydrogen peroxide
Why soak your nails in hydrogen peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, you know?
In fact it is rather a question of bleaching than cleaning the nails. So if you are looking for a tip to whiten and make your nails even whiter, hydrogen peroxide is the solution.
- Soak nails in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Then soak the nails in a bowl of hydrogen peroxide for the next 5 minutes.
- Rinse and moisturize the hands well to finish cleaning the nails.
It’s a 2 in 1 tip so you can clean and whiten your nails naturally and quickly!
5. Dip your hands in soapy water
If you’re looking for something to lightly clean nails, either on the surface or under the nails, soapy water is a great solution.
- Simply pour hot water into a basin and add a little mild hand soap.
- Soak hands and nails for 10-15 minutes.
- Then brush the still wet nails and hands with a brush for more stubborn stains.
6. Remove yellow on nails with toothpaste
Toothpaste is a product that can be used for a thousand and one cleaning tricks. Whether in the kitchen, in the laundry room or even on the face, toothpaste can also clean the nails.
Toothpaste and a brush!
We use toothpaste well to brush our teeth so why not use it to clean our nails! All you need is a nail brush and some white paste toothpaste.
- Put some white paste toothpaste on the brush and gently rub the nails.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat the cleaning if necessary if the nails are still yellow.
If you don’t have a nail brush at home, you can also use a toothbrush that you then keep for cleaning the nails.
7. Use denture cleaner on her nails
Let’s still stay in the field of teeth with this time a tip which consists of using a denture cleaner to clean and whiten the nails.
You know the cleaning tablets that are placed in a glass of water to then clean dentures or other types of dental prostheses.
Thanks to baking soda and other substances such as citric acid, this product can be a great idea for whitening and cleaning nails. And then are you going to test this other trick?
8. Be careful with nail polish
Do you have the habit of applying nail polish regularly and a lot on your nails? If you apply nail polish every morning and in the evening you don’t take the time to remove the nail polish properly, it risks staining the nails permanently or almost permanently!
But that’s not all, in addition to staining the nails in the long term, the use of a varnish and a nail polish remover greatly weakens the nails which can make them much more fragile and brittle. So there you have it, you have now been warned!
What to do with weak and brittle nails?
If you are looking for tips to get harder and stronger nails over time, I recommend reading these other tips and tricks: Brittle nails, what to do?
9. Protect your hands… And your nails!
If you like gardening and playing in your garden and flower beds why not just wear gloves to avoid getting your hands and nails dirty?
Wear gardening gloves!
Having black fingernails from gardening is not a big deal in itself, but if you can’t clean everything up, it’s much less pleasant and pretty. So wear gloves during your next gardening session.
Same advice for doing the dishes, you must wear dishwashing gloves to protect your hands, but also your nails which can become fragile and brittle because of the water and dish soap you use.
All these tricks are also good for toenails. Nail hygiene is very important to avoid problems like mycosis! Come and read our article on this subject: How to treat nail fungus naturally?