How to clean white baseboards? Baseboards in the house can quickly become dirty, dusty and marked with stains and scratches of all kinds.
Cleaning and maintenance is therefore essential! Here are my top tips for easily cleaning baseboards at home.
1. Wash the baseboards with warm soapy water
To prevent your baseboards from becoming very dirty and clogged, it is better to clean them regularly. Here’s how:
- Vacuum all baseboards with a long, soft bristle nozzle.
- Then add a capful of hot liquid dish soap to a bucket of hot water.
- Soak a cloth and wring well before rubbing and cleaning the baseboards.
You can use soapy water to clean stained or painted baseboards without any problem.
2. White Vinegar-Based Natural Baseboard Cleaner
To eliminate almost all stains on your baseboards, here is a 100% natural and easy-to-make cleaner:
- Mix in a bucket 4 cups of hot water with 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap and 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Soak a cloth or sponge in the solution and rub the baseboards, paying particular attention to stains and scratches.
- Wipe and dry skirting boards (especially wooden or MDF skirting boards) with a soft, dry cloth.
Use a small, soft-bristled brush or cotton ball and this vinegar and water solution to clean the corners of baseboards and other hard-to-reach places with the cloth.
3. Remove stains and scratches from baseboards
An effective tip for removing stains, scratches and other stubborn marks on baseboards and moldings, the eraser is very effective!
- Just use a regular eraser and rub the marks away.
Use a magic sponge!
No matter what stain you need to remove, the Magic Sponge (magic eraser) is a great product to have at home.
These small white sponges make it easy to erase all marks and stains:
- Ideal for removing marks from baseboards and moldings.
- Stains on almost any surface.
4. Prevent dust from settling on baseboards
If you like grandma’s tricks then I suggest you one that works really well against dust and hair from cats and dogs for example.
Here’s how to keep dust from building up on baseboards:
- Take a veil (softener sheet) from the dryer and rub it on the baseboards.
- Repeat the operation every week to prevent dust and animal hair from settling there.
This trick works because dryer sheets have powerful anti-static properties that repel dust and cat hair from baseboards.