How to cook a good ham? Ham is a delicious meat that can be shared very well with the family, both for brunch and for dinner. Accompanied and well prepared, the ham will make your meal a pure gastronomic delight.
Despite its simplicity, ham is a tasty dish that can be cooked and prepared in different ways. 10-Trucs presents different ways to cook ham as well as tips for perfect cooking.
1. Which ham to choose?
There are two main types of hams in grocery stores; pork butt and shoulder. If you want a big, tasty, juicy ham that will fray then go for the picnic ham.
In addition to being tastier than pork butt, picnic ham or toupie ham is cheaper to buy.
The pig’s butt is the part of the body where the ham actually comes from. On the other hand, the shoulder Picnic will be tasty and will cost less. This part will offer your guests a delicious ham filled with flavor and tenderness.
Here is what the picnic ham or toupie ham looks like in the grocery store:
Ham from the Lafleur company on display above but you will find several other picnic hams from other brands in the grocery store or directly at the local butcher.
2. The right amount of ham
Cooking a good big ham is one thing, but how much ham do you need approximately per person?
If you are the lucky one to cook the ham for the family brunch this Sunday then follow our recommendations to make sure you don’t run out of ham on the table.
- A boneless ham: 125g to 150g of ham per person.
- A ham with bone: 150g to 225g of ham per person.
For example, if you plan to cook for 10 people or 10 portions then you will have to choose a ham of 7 to 8 lbs (3.2 to 3.5 kg) minimum, including the bones.
As you can see before even talking about cooking, it is important to choose the right ham according to what you want to cook.
3. Desalt the ham before cooking
Before cooking a ham it is really important to remove the salt from the ham or at least to desalinate it in part. Do you know how to desalt a ham?
- Fill a saucepan with water.
- Place the ham in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and wait 20 minutes.
- Drain well to finish and repeat as needed.
It is important to remove a lot of salt because the ham may be really too salty when it is finished cooking.
4. Internal temperature of cooked ham
Do you know what internal temperature your ham needs to be to be sure it’s properly cooked and ready to eat? Ham like any other meat must be cooked to perfection to avoid trouble later.
The ham must therefore have an internet temperature of 72 degrees Celsius or 160 degrees F if you prefer. To be really sure you can buy a cooking thermometer. It’s great for ham and any other meats you’ll be cooking in the next few weeks.
- MATERIAL & PROBE: 304 stainless steel probe which is 4.90 inches, long enough to avoid…
- PRECISION & 2 MODES: High precision 0.1 Celsius fidelity, easy to use with both…
- ANTI-RUST CASE: We have already designed the protective cover avoiding the probe to rust at all…
- LCD SCREEN & USES: Anpro digital thermometer equips the LCD display and the numbers of…
- Thermometer for ideal cooking of ham.
- Display of degrees in C° and F°.
- Best price quality.
The cooking thermometer is useful for a multitude of meats and recipes like in this article: How to cook a turkey?
5. Cooking ham in the slow cooker
Do you have a slow cooker at home? Why not use it to quietly cook your piece of ham for a few hours at home?
There are many great ham recipes out there, but if your number one wish is perfectly cooked ham that frays with a fork, then the slow cooker is the answer for you. There are no real rules when it comes to cooking time for ham in the slow cooker, but on average you can expect between 8 and 10 hours.
If you don’t have a slow cooker or crock-Pot at home then here is a slow cooker model for our friends from Quebec and another model for our friends from France. Good ham! ? ?
Electric slow cooker
- Slow cooker with 6.5 L capacity.
- For cooking meat, tagines and stews.
- Glass lid and ceramic bowl.
Here is another article where you will discover 10 recipes to cook in a crockpot: 10 easy slow cooker recipes.
6. Make a good roast ham
How to cook and prepare the best roast ham? If this is the very first time you’ve cooked a good, big roast ham, here are a few simple steps to follow to make your recipe a success.
- Remove all the rind from the ham.
- Place the ham in a large roasting pan.
- Glaze the top of the ham with mustard, maple syrup or brown sugar.
- Bake at 330 degrees F. for 4 hours depending on the size of the ham.
- Wait 10 to 30 minutes before serving and eating.
For a sweet and savory taste, it is best to glaze the ham with maple syrup or brown sugar. If, on the contrary, you like salty then mustard is the right ingredient for your roast ham recipe.
7. Cook a good braised ham
You will find several recipes for braised ham online on the various cooking recipe sites. But to put it simply, here is a very simple way to cook your first braised ham at home.
- Place the ham in a large saucepan.
- Add 3 or more cups of liquid (water, broth, apple juice or beer)
- Cook for about 1h30 depending on the size of the ham.
- For the last hour of cooking remove the lid and baste the ham regularly.
Here you are with a delicious braised ham! For a unique taste, prefer apple juice or even blond or red beer. A true delight!
8. Bone-in ham… Yum yum!
If you are looking for the best ham for perfect, delicious and juicy cooking, then bone-in ham is ideal for your next recipe.
Its tasty side is due to the fact that it consists of large pieces of ham kneaded before being molded. If you don’t know how to find this type of ham, know that toupie ham is a good example of bone-in ham. In addition to being tastier, it contains more protein than other churned hams, for example.
9. Make boiled ham
If you are looking for a simple and tasty recipe for boiled ham, we offer you one right here. A recipe that you will definitely love and repeat!
- Fill a large saucepan with water and add the ham.
- Add a chopped onion.
- Add 2 cloves.
- Add 1 cut carrot.
- Add 1 celery cut into pieces.
- Add a bay leaf or two.
Simmer over medium heat for 2 to 3 hours depending on the size of your ham. It is necessary to calculate approximately 1 hour of cooking per kilo.
10. Store your ham well
Do you really know how to store ham at home? Whether in the fridge or in the freezer it is important to learn a little more about the shelf life.
If there is leftover cooked ham at the end of your meal, it will keep perfectly for 7 days in the fridge. To avoid losing flavor, avoid freezing it.
Storage in the refrigerator:
Store cooked ham for 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator without any problem. If the ham is sliced and well cooked, the duration is rather about 4 days.
Storage in the freezer:
Store the ham for up to 2 months in the freezer. But be careful because the longer it stays in the freezer, the more the taste of the meat is likely to deteriorate.
Now here is another article to read: What to do with leftover ham? You will find plenty of recipe ideas to make with ham.