How to deodorize a room in the house? A bad smell in the bedroom or a bad smell in the bathroom? Regardless of the room and the smell, it is entirely possible to eliminate it!
So today I present to you my best tips and tricks for deodorizing a room, a bedroom or even the whole house.
1. Deodorize a room with an orange
Have you ever heard of the trick of sticking cloves into a ripe orange?
This trick is ideal for deodorizing or at least spreading a good smell in a room or closet that smells musty.
- Take oranges or clementines and cut them in half.
- Prick cloves into each of the orange pieces.
- Arrange the pricked oranges in the rooms that need to be deodorized.
The good smells of orange zest and cloves will disperse in the air and deodorize the room and bedroom.
2. Eucalyptus against strong cooking odors
If there are strong cooking smells in the kitchen and dining room, eucalyptus can be a good solution to deodorize and eliminate those bad cooking smells.
Indeed, in addition to being an excellent natural deodorant for the home, eucalyptus oil contains antibacterial properties.
3 ways to use this oil as a natural deodorant:
- Heat a few drops of eucalyptus oil immediately after cooking your food.
- Spray a mixture of water and eucalyptus oil in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house.
- Use an essential oil diffuser with this eucalyptus fragrance after preparing dinner.
3. Deodorize a room with essential oils
No matter the room in the house; the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen or even the living room, here is a recipe based on essential oils to deodorize everything.
You need the following oils:
- 5 drops of maritime pine essential oil
- 5 drops balsam fir essential oil
- 5 drops of Siberian fir essential oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus radiata essential oil
Mix the 4 essential oils well and every day after meals place the mixture near a heat source or use an essential oil diffuser.
essential oil diffuser
- Deodorizes and releases good fresh odors
- Ultra-fine fog to freshen the air
- Can be used as ambiance (7 LED lights)
4. Light a candle to deodorize the room
Why complicate life when a simple candle can do the trick to deodorize a room or bedroom in the house!
Indeed, lighting a candle allows you to absorb but above all to eliminate the bad smells present everywhere in the room.
Contrary to what one might think it is not necessary to buy a scented candle, an unscented candle also eliminates bad smells.
Which candle fragrances to choose to deodorize rooms?
If you want a scented candle then know that not all fragrances are equally effective against bad odors. Indeed, to deodorize one or more rooms of the house, opt for a citrus-scented candle.
5. Deodorize a room with rugs and rugs
A room in the house consists of a large carpet as a floor covering? Well a solution to deodorize a room and more specifically a carpet is to use baking soda.
Indeed, baking soda helps absorb bad odors on fabrics and textiles, including carpet surfaces or on the fabric sofa.
Here’s how to deodorize the carpet with baking soda:
- Begin by vacuuming the entire floor covering to remove all dirt.
- Sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on the entire carpet (carpet, carpet, rug, etc.).
- Let the baking soda work against odors overnight (the longer the better).
- The next morning vacuum the carpet to remove all the baking soda.
Here is some baking soda to make this natural deodorant:
- Quality Household Baking Soda
- Ideal product for home maintenance
- Multiple and effective uses
6. Clean furniture and surfaces to deodorize everything
Regardless of the room in the house where you find the unpleasant smell, cleaning is essential to find a good fresh smell.
If the room you want to deodorize and clean is the kitchen then scrub and clean the counters, floors, cabinets and other surfaces and furniture in the room.
Water and vinegar!
A mixture of water and vinegar is very effective as a natural cleaner to neutralize bad odors in a room and particularly in the kitchen.
For other cleaning tips for the kitchen here is an interesting article to read: How to clean your kitchen naturally?
7. Deodorize a room naturally with thyme
When it comes to cleaning and eliminating unwanted odors in a room of the house, thyme is a 100% natural thing to use!
Indeed, thyme essential oil is very effective in giving a good smell in addition to being an excellent antibacterial.
Use thyme to clean floors and parquet floors in the house!
- Simply add 5-10 drops of thyme essential oil to your wash water.
- Clean your floors as usual and a good smell of thyme will give off everywhere in the house.
8. Make homemade potpourri against odors
Store-bought or homemade potpourri is a great way to deodorize and neutralize bad odors in a home.
A wet potpourri to deodorize the whole house:
- Add water to a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add fir and or pine branches and 1 cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, turn off the heat and let the smell spread throughout the house.
For other recipes and ideas I recommend reading my other article right here: Homemade potpourri recipes.
9. Make a sanitizing and 100% natural spray
It is possible to buy sanitizing and deodorizing sprays in stores, but why not make one yourself with ingredients from home?
Here is a spray recipe to clean the air in the house:
- Add 500ml of cold water to a spray type bottle.
- Add 3 to 5 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients well and spray in all rooms of the house, even the bedrooms.
In addition to pleasantly scenting the air in the house, this spray helps to neutralize bad odors and that stale smell that is so difficult to remove.
10. Open the windows to ventilate the rooms of the house
A simple trick to change the air and eliminate bad odors in the house is to simply open the windows.
Indeed, the simple fact of opening the windows will allow a transfer of air between the bad odors of the interior and the fresh air of the outside.
In summer as in winter!
So once a week or when necessary open all the windows for a few minutes to change and deodorize the air in all the rooms of the house.
If you are looking for other anti odor tips and tricks then this other article offers several more: Remove bad odors in the house.