How to properly disinfect the toilet? The toilet and especially the bowl must be clean at all times. It must also be well disinfected in order to eliminate the bacteria it contains.
So here are some tips and cleaning products for you today to thoroughly disinfect the toilets of the house.
1. Clean and disinfect the toilet with white vinegar
Although bleach can be effective in disinfecting a toilet it is not an environmental product, but really not!
So what to use to replace bleach… White vinegar!
- Pour white vinegar directly into the toilet and leave on overnight.
- Flush the next morning and scrub the inside of the toilet bowl with a brush and more white vinegar.
- Flush again to complete cleaning.
For more efficiency, you can also add very hot water at the same time as you pour the vinegar into the toilet.
2. Baking soda as a toilet sanitizer
Baking soda is also a good ally in the bathroom and particularly as a toilet cleaner and disinfectant if mixed with vinegar.
Here’s how to use it in the toilet:
- Add 4 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Pour the solution into the toilet bowl and scrub the bottom of the toilet with a brush.
- Flush the toilet and repeat if necessary if there are still stains in the bottom of the bowl.
3. Disinfect a toilet with citric acid
To disinfect and to remove stubborn stains in the toilet bowl, citric acid is a really effective product to try!
Here’s how to use it in the bathroom:
- Add 3 tablespoons of citric acid to 2 cups of hot water.
- Pour the solution into the bottom of the toilet and scrub with a sturdy brush.
- Flush the toilet and start again if necessary.
This product is also an excellent natural descaler. It is therefore useful for removing rust and lime stains from the bottom of the toilet bowl.
4. Other tips and tricks for disinfecting toilets
- Daily brushing: Every day, clean your toilet with a brush. Don’t wait for stains to appear in the bottom of the toilet to do this.
- Disinfect the toilets weekly: At least once a week, disinfect your toilet using one of the methods suggested above. It is very important to disinfect the toilet as often as possible to eliminate and prevent the formation of bacteria.
- Place toilet paper in the bowl: Before applying the products (those that you must leave on overnight, for example) line the bottom of the bowl with toilet paper. This will be even more effective in cleaning and removing all stains.
5. Do not forget the other surfaces of the toilet
In addition to the bottom of the bowl, it is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces of the toilet. To do this you can use rubbing alcohol.
Then you should also clean and disinfect:
- the flush (handle or button)
- the toilet lid
- interior and exterior surfaces of the toilet
- toilet water tank
- the floor around the toilet.
If you don’t have rubbing alcohol at home, you can use an antibacterial wipe as a disinfectant.