How to dry a flower bouquet?
Dried flowers are always very trendy in the field of decoration. But do you know what is the right technique to dry flowers and keep them as memories for a very long time?
Here are tips and tricks for drying petals, leaves, a rose bouquet or just wildflowers.
1. Hang the flowers upside down to dry
The first trick to air-drying a bouquet of flowers is to tie them up and hang them upside down.
Here’s exactly how to air-dry flowers:
- Start by removing the « too » damaged leaves and flowers from the stems.
- Make small bouquets of 4 to 6 flower stems by tying them with a string.
- Hang the heads down from each flower bouquet in a dry, airy place.
- Depending on the type of flower to be dried, the drying time can be from a few days to a few weeks.
If you are looking for a way to dry a flower bouquet, such as a wedding bouquet for example, this trick is the best.
2. Dry flowers flat in a book
If you are looking for a way to dry flowers, petals or tree leaves then flat drying in a large book is the best solution!
When I was little I loved to go hunting for the most beautiful leaves and wild flowers in the garden. Then here’s what I did to save them and keep them as a souvenir:
- Find a large, very heavy book and open it right in the middle.
- Place 2 paper towels and place the flowers between them and close the book.
- Every 2 or 3 days change the sheets of paper towel until the flowers are completely dry.
There is also a « flower press » which allows flowers to be pressed and dried efficiently, without damaging them.
If you are looking for a trick to dry flowers really fast then here is a trick that works really well:
- Place the flower to be dried between 2 sheets of paper towel and place a book or heavy object on top.
- Leave in place for a few minutes to flatten the flower and remove the book.
- Pass a hot iron (at low temperature) on the top absorbent paper for about ten seconds.
- Let cool and turn the paper towels over and repeat again on the other side.
Rather than waiting up to 2 weeks, it will only take a few minutes with this trick to dry your flowers.
4. Dry flowers in the microwave
A grandmother’s trick that I have already tested once and that works really well and quickly for drying flowers is drying in the microwave!
Here is how to dry your flowers in the microwave:
- Place the flower between 2 absorbent papers and then place the whole thing between 2 ceramic tiles.
- Heat the microwave at low temperature for 30 seconds, let cool and check the flowers.
- Repeat until the flower is completely dry. Be careful not to let it run for more than 30 seconds so as not to brown your flowers.
- Place the flowers in a book for 2 or 3 days to flatten them well.