How to get rid of a migraine naturally?
I still get migraines today, those nasty unbearable headaches. I’m not the only one, as almost 15% of the popular suffer from occasional migraines.
Fortunately it is possible to make it disappear, especially with cold! Here are some grandmother’s migraine tips and remedies.
1. Why do I get migraines?
You must first ask yourself what is causing your migraines since headaches can have several origins. Some migraines are caused by stress and are relatively easy to stop.
On the other hand, if you suffer from migraines regularly, you must consult a health specialist who can help you fight and relieve these migraines.
Here are some of the possible causes of migraines:
- Foods such as alcohol, chocolate, caffeine and salty foods.
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Hormonal changes
- Rapid changes in climatic conditions
- Sleep problems, etc.
2. Migraine, put hot or cold
To quickly feel better and relieved, you have to opt for cold! The cold compress on the forehead is ideal for relieving a migraine or a simple headache.
Cold on the forehead!
Indeed, for my part, the fact of applying an ice pack to my forehead during a frontal migraine attack relieves me enormously. If you don’t have an ice pack or ice pack, you can apply a cold water compress to your forehead.
The cold contributes to vasoconstriction which will give you almost instant relief since headaches are due to vasodilation. It is therefore preferable to use cold for a migraine rather than hot.
3. A relaxing hot bath with essential oils
And yes, some people prefer the use of heat rather than cold to relieve a migraine. This is why a hot bath can also be a good remedy to relieve a migraine.
- Fill a bath with lukewarm water and add a few drops of marjoram essential oil. Be careful not to put the water too hot, as this can aggravate the migraine.
Marjoram relaxes and promotes sleep which should relieve you both through aromatherapy and sleep benefits.
4. Calm a migraine with relaxation
Do you practice relaxation techniques at home? Relaxation can be beneficial for migraines and other common ailments.
Here is an easy relaxation exercise to do at home:
- Lie down on your bed or on a floor mat if you’re not home, and close the lights and curtains.
- Close your eyes and meditate for a few moments, focusing on joyful aspects of your life.
- Add soft piano music or nature sounds for complete relaxation.
This relaxation session will help you relax and reduce the intensity of your migraines quickly.
5. The benefits of aromatherapy on a migraine
Essential oils can be beneficial in relieving and calming many ailments including migraines and headaches. Here are 2 essential oils to favor to relieve your pain:
- Lavender essential oil: Lavender essential oil has many health benefits including helping relieve migraines. This oil is considered to be vasodilator which greatly facilitates the treatment and relief of headaches, including that of migraine, and this, quite naturally.
- Peppermint essential oil: This other essential oil has beneficial effects on people’s blood pressure. But if this peppermint oil is applied to the temples and forehead where the pain is most acute, it can be very beneficial.
Regardless of the essential oil used, it must be diluted in a vegetable oil at the rate of 1 drop of essential oil for 10 drops of vegetable oil.
Diffuse essential oils in the bedroom:
To get the most benefits from aromatherapy, you can install an essential oil diffuser in the bedroom.
6. Drink plenty of water for migraine
Hydration is extremely important for people’s overall health. So did you know that just being dehydrated can cause terrible headaches like migraines!?
How much water to drink daily?
So if you are used to having headaches, it is all the more important to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. You need to drink about 1.5 liters of water every day to be healthy.
This trick is effective in relieving a headache, but if you suffer from migraine attacks, it is essential to consult a doctor to find the exact cause and the appropriate treatment.
7. Grandma’s Remedy for Migraine Relief
Here’s one last home remedy that seems to work well for clearing a migraine quickly:
- Peel and slice a potato.
- Apply the slices directly to the forehead and relax.
- You can replace the potato with a white onion.
I must confess that I have never tested this grandmother’s trick. But hey, it costs nothing to try as they say!
8. A few lifestyle habits to avoid migraines
- Take the air as often as possible: Get some fresh air regularly. It is possible that your migraine is due to poor air quality in commercial buildings. If this is the case, taking a break outdoors at lunchtime is a good solution against migraine. It’s a great way to regenerate and oxygenate the body.
- To exercise: Exercise. Since migraines are often caused by stress, playing sports or exercising can reduce stress and also promote the release of endorphins. Endorphin is a hormone that gives a feeling of euphoria and reduces the pain caused by this headache.
- A good diet: It is important to eat well and to eat fresh and natural foods… Especially as little processed foods as possible! Oh yes, it is also important to eat at fixed times and especially do not skip meals and do not eat before going to bed.
- Caution with screens: Finally, another piece of advice is to beware of screens… Of all screens! So be careful with television, computer, laptop, tablet and especially with your phone!