How to Get Rid of Asian Ladybugs?
Ladybugs are magnificent insects that do not harm humans in any way. On the other hand, when there is an invasion of ladybugs at home, things can quickly become different.
A few times a year at home I myself have a ladybug problem in my house! So here are my best grandmother’s ladybug repellents and remedies.
Before making your own homemade ladybug repellent or trap it is important to find the famous ladybug nest! But how to find it?
Hundreds and thousands of Asian ladybugs!
If you are afraid of ladybugs it is all the more important to find their nest! So if you notice a lot of ladybugs in the house or near your doors and windows, it’s probably a ladybug’s nest. Ladybugs can group together in very large numbers ranging from a few hundred and even thousands, especially for asian ladybugs!
Check window sills!
The problem is that ladybugs can easily adapt to different places to group together and thus form their nest. But most often it is the edges of doors and windows that are the favorite places of ladybugs.
And if the windows are exposed to the heat of the sun, you are even more likely to see these insects. It is therefore very important to seal your doors and windows well to prevent ladybugs from entering the house. You have been warned!
2. Diatomaceous earth as a ladybug repellent
Have you ever heard of Diatomaceous Earth? This natural product can be used as a natural insecticide to quickly get rid of an invasion of ladybugs in the house or on the balcony.
In powder form, simply sprinkle the diatomaceous earth in the favorite places of the ladybugs. For example, you can place it along windows and doors. You can also place them along the house outside when necessary, in spring and fall. A very effective product to eliminate Asian ladybugs, but also other unwanted insects.
- Natural and effective insecticide against ladybugs.
- Anti ladybug for inside and outside the house.
- Effective against ladybugs, cockroaches, bedbugs, fleas, etc.
3. A homemade ladybug trap
A super simple and quick homemade ladybug trap to make is to mix water with dish soap:
- Fill several small bowls with water and add a tablespoon of washing up liquid.
- Place the traps on windowsills and if possible in sunny places.
Thanks to the dishwashing liquid, the ladybugs will not be able to get out of the trap!
Personally I use this trick in spring and fall to catch and kill ladybugs that manage to sneak inside the house.
4. Get rid of ladybugs with camphor!
Camphor is a plant that is widely used in the preparation of many home remedies, both for health and against pests! It can therefore be used to control your ladybug infestation in the house.
Camphor essential oil against ladybugs!
For the problem that interests us (ladybugs) it is preferable to choose camphor in the form of essential oil so that it is really effective against ladybugs. Here’s how to make this natural repellent:
- Mix camphor essential oil with water (between 10 and 20 drops depending on the amount of water used)
- Spray the repellent in the different places where the ladybugs hang out to quickly get rid of them.
5. Make a natural Asian ladybug repellent
Do you want to test a 100% natural homemade recipe to keep Asian ladybugs away from the house and the balcony? Garlic, here is the anti-ladybug solution to test now!
Here is how to prepare this ladybug repellent:
- Place 2 large heads of garlic in a saucepan and boil with a little water for a few minutes, until the garlic cloves soften enough to crush them.
- Take a fork to crush the garlic cloves to release the juice which will act as a ladybug repellent.
- Use a sieve to strain, then add 4 liters of water and mix.
- Spray the repellent where ladybugs roam around the house and outdoors.
- Repeat as needed every 3 or 4 days to effectively ward off invaders.
This trick is really effective in putting an end to Asian ladybugs that take refuge on window sills and even on the terrace.
6. A recipe for eliminating ladybugs
A bit like the garlic-based recipe, the next one also proposes to infuse an ingredient that is very repellent to ladybugs… Pepper!
Here’s how to prepare this anti-ladybug recipe:
- Mix 150 g of infused cayenne pepper in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let cool and add 4 teaspoons of dish soap to make the mixture viscous.
- Then spray the places where the ladybugs and other insects are to be eliminated.
For this homemade repellent to be effective, it must be repeated several times every week, otherwise the ladybugs may come back to visit you. You
7. Keep ladybugs away with white vinegar
Another trick to naturally keep ladybugs away from the house is to use a homemade repellent made from white vinegar.
Indeed, vinegar is a great natural product that helps repel ladybugs by eliminating the traces and odors of pheromones that these insects leave in their path.
- Spray white vinegar wherever you see ladybugs.
- Spray with white vinegar for a few days to eliminate the pheromone.
You can also dilute the white vinegar with water so as not to damage the more fragile surfaces which could react badly in contact with this product.
8. Make an Asian ladybug trap
Similar to the trap with washing up liquid, here is another trap to make at home with a mixture of water and molasses (or another sugary slime). In a glass jar:
- Pour 1 part molasses or sweet syrup into the bottom.
- Then pour in 1 part cold water and add 2 parts lemon soda (7-up style).
- Add 2 drops of dish soap and add a few dead, crushed ladybugs.
- Mix the mixture well to make it as homogeneous as possible.
Then place the ladybug trap where you see these insects to capture and kill them.
9. Capture and kill ladybugs with the vacuum cleaner
As you already know, ladybugs are very useful in the environment, but unfortunately if they invade the house, we can’t help but kill them. The vacuum cleaner can become a very effective solution to get rid of ladybugs quickly and efficiently!
Just suck up the ladybugs with the vacuum cleaner and then put them in an airtight bag that you place in the trash.
Where do ladybugs hide in the house?
Before you take out the vacuum cleaner you have to find them! Check ceilings, walls, and especially window sills for them. At home, they gather by the dozen near the windows of the house to keep warm. Just open the window a little and vacuum them with the vacuum cleaner.
Of course, if you don’t do some work at home, you risk seeing ladybugs entering the house every spring and autumn.
Here are some actions and work to do to repel ladybugs:
- Properly seal and caulk around windows and doors in the house.
- Check and repair door and window screens as needed.
- Check and repair cracks in the foundation and exterior siding of the house.
- Check access to the roof such as vents, chimneys, ventilation and aeration devices, etc.
If you want to avoid an invasion of ladybugs in the spring or fall this year, you have to repair and caulk the house! Good repair!