How to remove the smell of gasoline in the house? Whether in the house or in the car, the smell of gasoline can quickly become uncomfortable for people. This is why it is necessary to act quickly to clean and thus eliminate this smell.
So here are some of my good tips and tricks to remove the smell of gasoline but also to clean these stains.
1. Remove the smell of gasoline in a house
If you have spilled a little gasoline on the garage floor or in the workshop in the basement, you must act quickly to prevent the smell from spreading to all the rooms of the house!
Here’s how to use baking soda to soak up that bad gas smell:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the gasoline stain on the floor and let sit overnight.
- The next morning vacuum to remove all the powder and wash the floor with soapy water.
- Also place containers with baking soda in the 4 corners of the room to deodorize well.
To absorb the stain and the smell of gasoline on the concrete floor even more effectively, you can sprinkle Terre de Sommières rather than baking soda.
2. Remove the smell of gasoline in a car
If you have spilled a little gasoline in the trunk of your car, you must act quickly before the smell soaks too deeply into the fabrics.
- Sprinkle a large quantity of clumping litter directly on the still-fresh gasoline stain.
- Leave to act all night on the gasoline stain, leaving the windows down to ventilate the interior of the car.
- Vacuum the litter with your shop vacuum to complete the cleanup.
This clumping litter trick can also be used to remove stains and gasoline smell in a house instead of using baking soda and the reverse is also true.
3. Remove gasoline smell from clothes
The very first thing to do if a piece of clothing smells strongly of gasoline is to air it outside.
Place the garment on the clothesline or directly on the balcony for a whole day to make the smell of gasoline disappear (as much as possible).
You can also deodorize it faster with white vinegar:
- Fill a basin with water and vinegar (1 part vinegar to 3 parts water).
- Soak the garment and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes in the solution.
- Rinse, spin dry and machine wash the garment to finish.
4. Gasoline stain and smell on carpet
Whether on a car mat or on a carpet, turpentine can be effective in loosening the surface.
- Soak a rag in turpentine and rub the gasoline stain.
- Scrub again with a cloth and soapy water and rinse to finish.
- Let it dry and add baking soda to get rid of the gasoline smell.
If you don’t have turpentine at home, you can use white spirit, which will also be effective in cleaning gasoline stains.
5. Clean a gasoline stain from clothing
If you have just spilled a few drops of gasoline on clothing or shoes, you must act quickly so that the gasoline does not become more embedded in the fabric.
- Sprinkle Terre de Sommières on the gasoline stain.
- Leave on until the powder absorbs all the essence on the fabric.
- Shake the garment and machine wash it to finish cleaning.
You can easily replace Terre de Sommières with Talc, which is another effective product for absorbing gasoline stains and odors.
6. Remove a stubborn, encrusted gasoline stain
If the gasoline stain is well embedded in the fabric, I know a grandmother’s trick that works very well: Soda crystals!
- Make a paste with a mixture of soda crystals and water.
- Apply the mixture directly to the gasoline stain and leave for a few minutes.
- Rub the stain with the paste and a damp cloth (use an old toothbrush if needed).
- Rinse the garment or fabric with warm water and repeat until the stain disappears.
You can also dab a stubborn gasoline stain on fabric with a cloth and a little ammonia. Of course don’t forget to rinse with water to finish.
7. Get rid of gasoline smell on your hands
Some tips and tricks are possible to remove the smell of gasoline on the hands.
Here are some natural products with which you can rub and clean your hands:
- with lemon juice.
- with white vinegar.
- with vanilla extract and water.
Another old-fashioned remedy for the smell of gasoline on your hands is to rub them and clean them with a white paste toothpaste. Works very well!