How to get rid of musty smell in a house? Despite regular cleaning of the house and cupboards, the musty smell can still be present unfortunately.
Cleaning alone is not enough so here are some good ones tips and tricks to remove the musty smell in the house, a closet or in a piece of furniture.
1. Find the source of that musty smell in the house
You can try all the tips and tricks offered here, but if you don’t take the time to find the source of the problem, the musty smell will always come back.
So what are the causes of this bad smell?
- Humidity and mold: Often the musty smell in a house is caused by a problem of humidity or worse, mold.
- Fabric furniture: Another source of this smell is often fabric furniture and accessories such as an old sofa, old curtains or worse a large carpet directly on the concrete floor.
- Storage units: Cabinets, cupboards and other wooden furniture can give off musty odors if they are not cleaned and opened often.
2. Ventilate against the musty smell
Before we get to the tips and tricks, ask yourself this question: How do you expect to get rid of that stale smell if you don’t take the time to air out every room in your house!?
Opening the windows a few centimeters is enough to circulate and change the air in the house.
Fast and efficient to circulate the air!
Indeed, in summer as in winter, if a musty smell is present in the house, the simple fact of opening the windows for a few minutes every day can be a quick and effective solution.
3. Vinegar for a musty closet smell
A first natural trick that works very well against the musty smell in a closet or large wardrobe is white vinegar.
- Fill a small bowl (or glass) with pure white vinegar and place it in the cupboard.
- Let the vinegar act all day and the next morning the stale smell will be gone.
Repeat this trick as soon as you notice the smell coming back. The sooner you act, the quicker and easier it will be to get rid of the musty smell in the closet.
Also effective against the smell of mothballs:
And yes, the vinegar trick and several others are also effective against the smell of mothballs as you will discover here: How to remove mothball smell?
4. A homemade natural anti-odor spray
If you like to concoct your own recipes and home remedies then here is a 100% natural one against the musty smell in a house.
For this anti odor spray you need these ingredients:
- lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 4 or 5 drops of lemon essential oil
Once well mixed, spray the solution all over the house and even on textiles to remove the musty smell.
This homemade recipe can also be used to remove the smell of cooking in the kitchen or simply to freshen the air and quickly perfume the house.
5. Spray fabric freshener
Finally, if you want to use a real deodorizing product instead, then the fabric freshener is the solution for you!
The deodorizing spray for textiles allows you to spray fabrics and linens directly in the house. So you can use this product on:
- fabric sofas,
- duvet covers
- rugs, rugs and carpets
- decorative cushions, etc.
Febreze air freshener spray is without a doubt one of the best products to quickly eliminate the musty smell in the house before the visit arrives. You can buy it on Amazon right here:
Febreze – Air Freshener Spray
- Eliminates odors and freshens the air in the house.
- Refreshes hard-to-clean fabrics.
- Several flavors available for all tastes.