How to get rid of rats?
Rats are disgusting and sometimes even carry diseases and germs. Nobody wants them in their garden or worse in the house, so what to do to keep them away?!
Keeping rats away therefore becomes a mission for home and business owners. Here are the 10 best tips, natural repellents and traps to get rid of rats!
1. A homemade rat trap
It is possible to make your own rat trap to catch live or dead rats depending on. As there are several types of rat traps, I offer some models below.
Super simple and easy to make rat traps with a few tricks that are easily found around the house.
A ramp, a bucket, some food and an inflatable balloon (balloon) is all you need to make this first trap:
A bucket with a trick lid and an access ramp is all you need for this other homemade rat trap:
So if you prefer to make your own rat or mouse trap I suggest you read my other article here: homemade mouse trap.
Kill rats with an electric rat trap!
Personally I do not recommend buying an electric trap to kill rats because they are not really effective. In fact against mice it seems to work well but for electrocuting large rats not really.
Rather prefer the purchase of a capture cage that can be used both to catch a rat in the house and in the garden outside. Here is a live rat trap model on Amazon:
2. Get rid of rats with coca-cola
Did you know that cola can be very useful in permanently getting rid of rats in a house?
Indeed, rats but also mice love cola and as it contains a lot of gas the rat will swell and die!
So here’s how to use coca-cola to get rid of rats:
- Pour coca cola into a small, not too deep bowl.
- Place one or more bowls of caco where rats hang out in the house and garden.
- Add half a tablespoon of espresso to make the trap even more effective against rats.
This anti-rat trick actually causes a rapid increase in the rodent’s heart rate in addition to causing belly swelling and other problems in rats.
3. Grandma’s recipe for killing rats
Now here is a simple, quick and VERY effective grandmother’s recipe for getting rid of rats in a house.
For this anri rat recipe you need:
- of flour
- some water
Mix 1 tablespoon of plaster and 2 tablespoons of flour in a small container (not too high) and place another container with water next to it.
The rat will eat the mixture of flour and plaster and thanks to the water, the plaster will freeze quickly in the stomach. The rat will die quickly thanks to this grandmother’s trick.
Use rat poison to kill rats fast!
There are also rodenticides in the form of pastes or cereals which are excellent anti-rat products. So if you don’t want to make your own plaster and flour mixture, here is a rat poison that works very well:
Rat bait paste
- Product against rats and mice.
- For dry and damp locations.
- Fast and drastic action to kill rats.
Watch out for your children and pets, because rat poison is a poison that can be dangerous.
4. Peppermint, a natural rat repellent
The smell of mint and more particularly that of peppermint is really not appreciated by rats and mice.
So here’s how you can use this repellent plant to keep rats away:
- Plant mint plants directly in the garden and border to scare away rats.
- Put peppermint plants on the terrace, the balcony and even in the house.
- Plant mint around the chicken coop to keep rats and rodents away from the chickens.
Remember to choose peppermint, as other species of mint are not as effective as a repellent.
5. Spicy Rat Remedy
If you like testing natural repellents then here is a 100% natural and effective home remedy to keep rats away.
To make this repellent you must:
- Mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a spoonful of Tabasco.
- Then add half a teaspoon of liquid dish soap.
- Mix the ingredients in two cups of water and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray this rat repellent around the house and garden to scare away rodents.
With this grandmother’s remedy, you will quickly keep rats away, but also mice, cockroaches and voles from the garden and around the house.
6. Plant that keeps and repels rats
There are several plants, shrubs and herbs that can be effective natural repellents against rats and other small rodents, including mice.
But now, which plant to choose against rats?
- Angelica is a very effective plant against rats. Its smell repels rats and mice.
- Peppermint and pennyroyal is another repellent plant hated by rats, mice and other small rodents.
- eucalyptus is another repellent plant to plant in the garden (especially effective against mice though).
- The imperial crown is a plant whose bulb (the onion) gives off a strong odor that rats do not like at all.
You can therefore plant these different plants near your house, in flower beds or directly in your vegetable garden to quickly scare away rats and other pests.
There are other plants that act as excellent natural repellents against other species of animals and insects as you will discover here: Repellent plant for garden.
7. Scare rats away with an ultrasonic repeller
There are also ultrasonic repellents on the market that emit vibrations and sound waves to repel rats and other small wild animals.
There are many models of ultrasound, some repellents are designed for inside the house while others are designed for the outside such as the garden or to keep rodents away from the car for example.
Ultrasonic rat and mouse repellent
- Disturbs and repels rats and mice from the house.
- Safe for humans and pets.
- Easy to use and effective against pests.
The only drawback with the ultrasonic repeller is that you have to be patient. You have to wait on average between 5 and 10 days to no longer see a rat in the house.
On the other hand, to avoid seeing rats entering the house, it is an excellent anti-rat product!
8. Catch a rat in a house
Of course, a quick and effective way to catch rats (and mice) in a home is the trapdoor type trap and rat swatter.
Simply place a few traps in places in the house where you suspect the presence of rats and place some bait there to lure them to the trap.
Here is a batch of reusable rat traps:
6 rat traps
- Reusable rat and mouse trap.
- Super easy to use and install.
- Ideal for killing rats around the house.
9. The best baits to lure rats into a trap
Of course to catch a rat or a mouse you must add a bait inside the cage. But here is what is the best bait to attract and capture rats in the house?
So here are some bait ideas to lure rats into a trap:
- peanut butter
- chocolate (in small pieces)
- dried fruits (grapes, cranberries, etc.)
- jujube candies
- sweet barbecue sauce
- meat (in small pieces)
10. The cat, effective against rats!
Do Cats Chase Rats? Very good question and the answer is YES!
Indeed, cats catch mice, but also rats. They are fearsome warriors so why not let your cat roam the yard and fight a deadly battle against the rats?
This is a great way to scare rats far away from your garden and house and even kill them.
Be careful not to let your cat into the house with a dead mouse or rat in its mouth. Rats can carry disease!
If you also have a problem with mice at home then here are several other handy tips and tricks: How to keep mice away?