How to effectively fight against woodworms? Do you have old wooden furniture “stored” in the basement in the house? It may be time to go check for holes and worse if there are woodworms nibbling the old wood.
I have personally seen holes and woodworms in old planks. So here are tips and tricks to get rid of woodworms.
Tips for fighting woodworms:
1. Get rid of woodworms with hot air
If you notice holes in an old wooden piece of furniture or on the wood frame, hot air can be effective in eliminating them!
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Run the hair dryer and blow hot air over the wood in the direction of the holes.
- After only a few seconds or minutes you should see the woodworms coming out of the holes.
- All that remains is to pick them up and kill them to end it for good.
If the woodworm infestation is too large and widespread, you will probably need to call in a professional exterminator to solve this pest problem.
2. Flaxseed Oil for Woodworm Control
Another natural trick that can effectively control woodworms is the use of linseed oil.
Here’s how to use this oil on furniture with worms:
- Soak a cloth in linseed oil and rub the infected areas.
- You can also pour linseed oil directly into the holes to fight these woodworms.
In addition to naturally fighting woodworms, linseed oil will treat and protect the wood of your furniture.
3. Natural Woodworm Treatment: Onion
If you are looking for a natural and effective treatment against woodworms and other insects that attack old wooden furniture and wooden frames then onion is the solution.
You can use onion juice or better yet an onion cut in half. Here’s how:
- Peel and cut a very ripe large onion in half
- Rub half of the onion on the surface of the furniture attacked by the insects.
- Scrub more at the holes in the wood to eliminate the woodworms.
This trick is only effective if the problem is at the very beginning. For a larger infestation, this trick will not be effective in controlling these insects.
A grandma’s remedy for worm-eaten wooden furniture is to use the power of eucalyptus!
Indeed, the eucalyptus is able to fight effectively and naturally against beetles responsible for holes in the wood.
To do this, 2 methods to use eucalyptus well against these beetles:
- Soak a rag in eucalyptus essence and rub the wooden furniture to prevent woodworms.
- Pour a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil directly into the worms’ holes.
Citrus and lavender!
You can also use citrus essential oil or even lavender essential oil to eliminate woodworms rather than eucalyptus.
5. Buy a product against woodworms
Of course, you can also buy a real product and treatment to fight and eliminate woodworms and treat worm-eaten furniture.
Here is a product to spray on infected furniture, objects and wooden floors:
- Protects wood against woodworms, termites and beetles.
- Protector without pesticides or insecticides
- Ideal for garden furniture and wood framing.
If you also notice the presence of termites it is even more important to act quickly… VERY quickly! Here is an article about it: Natural termite repellent.