How to lighten your hair naturally yourself?
Colored or natural hair, did you know that it was possible to lighten hair in a natural way. Salt, lemon, honey, sun… What is the best homemade lightening product!
Here are the best recipes and masks to lighten your hair naturally at home.
1. Before you start to lighten your hair
Not all hair reacts the same way to lightening products. Some hair will take on orange hues that you may not like at all.
Do a test on a small section of hair to start!
It is therefore strongly recommended to do a test on a lock of hair and on a part of your hair that is less visible.
Additionally, it can be more difficult to lighten chemically colored hair with natural methods. Again, do a test strand of hair to make sure everything is working fine before you lighten all of your hair.
2. Lighten your hair with lemon
Lemon juice is a natural lightener that will help you achieve beautiful highlights and lighten all your hair naturally.
Here is a homemade recipe to lighten your hair with lemon juice:
- Add the juice of 3 fresh lemons to 1/4 liter of lukewarm water.
- Apply the lotion all over the hair or if you prefer to lighten only a few strands, use a dye brush.
- Leave the lemon mask on your hair for 2 hours before rinsing with warm-cold water.
Depending on the degree of lightening desired, you may need to repeat a second treatment. To properly lighten the hair, it must be repeated every week for a month.
For even more intense and rapid lightening, you can expose the hair to the sun while you apply this mask to your hair.
3. Lighten your hair with chamomile
Chamomile is often used in shampoos for people with blonde hair, as it can help lighten hair and provide lovely golden highlights.
However, it can very well be used as it is, in infusion or decoction on your hair:
- Chamomile tea: Pour a cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile. Leave to infuse for ten minutes before filtering the solution.
- Chamomile decoction: Use the same amounts of water and chamomile, but bring the mixture to a boil in a saucepan. Boil for twenty minutes before straining.
In both cases, make a shampoo and then apply the solution to your hair. This method requires no rinsing and will help lighten hair naturally.
4. Cinnamon to lighten hair
Cinnamon is ideal when you want to lighten naturally dark hair. Cinnamon will give lovely natural-looking coppery highlights to the hair.
So here is how to use cinnamon on hair:
- Cinnamon Lotion: Make a paste by combining cinnamon powder and lukewarm water. Apply to damp hair, cover and leave on overnight.
- Cinnamon mask: For this recipe you will need 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 4 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of argan oil. Combine all the ingredients and apply the mask to your hair. Cover them and leave on overnight.
- Cinnamon Conditioner: Combine in a bowl 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and the amount of conditioner you usually need to cover your hair. After shampooing, apply to damp hair. Cover them and let sit overnight.
If you feel a tingling or notice any redness you should quickly stop and rinse your hair. It is probably an allergic reaction.
5. Lighten hair with salt and sun
It is well known, salt water combined with exposure to the sun gives beautiful natural highlights to the hair.
The sun is undoubtedly one of the best tips for lightening hair naturally this summer!
To achieve a similar result without going to the seaside here is how to do it:
- Combine sea salt with water in a spray bottle.
- Mix well to dissolve all the grains of salt in the water.
- Spray the solution on your hair and Expose yourself to the sun during a sunny afternoon.
- In the evening, shampoo as usual to complete the trick.
Simple, fast and effective as a tip!
6. Lighten your hair with a honey mask
In addition to being gentle on the hair, honey can help you achieve beautiful golden highlights naturally.
Here is a very simple recipe for a honey-based lightening mask:
- Combine 4 parts honey to 1 part apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar all over the hair
- Cover your hair with a hat or towel.
- Leave on for an hour before rinsing hair well to finish.
7. Hair Brightening Mask Recipe
How about trying another recipe with several 100% natural ingredients!? So for this treatment and lightening mask recipe, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon of conditioner
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients well and apply to damp hair. Leave on for 1 hour then rinse well.
This is a great homemade mask recipe to help lighten hair naturally!
If the result of a color is too dark, there are some ways to lighten it slightly without using chemicals.
Here is how to lighten colored hair:
- With baking soda: First, get a lightening shampoo. Then, mix well 2 glasses of baking soda and ¼ glass of shampoo. Wet your hair with warm water and apply the mixture all over the hair. Leave on for a maximum of 15 minutes and rinse well. If the result is not satisfactory, repeat the treatment for another 15 minutes.
- With vitamin C tablets: Crush 15-20 vitamin C tablets in a bowl and add enough shampoo to make a paste. Mix well with a whisk and apply to wet hair with warm water. Leave on for 1 hour and rinse well with cold water.
- With hydrogen peroxide: Add hydrogen peroxide to a spray bottle and apply all over the hair. Leave on for 15 minutes, then rinse. As this can dry out hair, follow with a moisturizing mask.