How to lower cholesterol naturally?
Cholesterol is made in your liver and performs many important functions. For example, it helps keep your cell walls flexible and is needed to make several hormones.
However, too much cholesterol, or bad cholesterol in the wrong places, creates problems.
Wondering what to do to lower the cholesterol in your blood? Here are some tips and remedies that will allow you to naturally lower cholesterol.
1. Move to fight cholesterol
No need to start a big training program! But try to walk as much as possible during the day.
- Walk to go shopping.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take walks with your dog.
- Go to work or school by bike.
- Exercise in the pool, etc.
You will see how much the simple act of moving will be good for you and that your cholesterol level will quickly drop.
2. Lower cholesterol by drinking skimmed milk
If you are a fan of cow’s milk and dairy products in general, choose skimmed products as much as possible. It will be a much better choice to lower your body’s bad cholesterol.
You could also opt for unsweetened plant milks, including soy milk, almond milk, or cashew milk.
3. Barley, a food against cholesterol
Barley has large amounts of fiber that slows down the digestion of food, while preventing an increase in blood sugar levels.
In addition, barley would be known to reduce the level of bad cholesterol.
Don’t know how to cook barley? The internet is full of barley recipes and this one can easily replace rice, pasta and other foods in your favorite recipes.
4. Fight cholesterol naturally with black tea
If you like grandmother’s remedies then black tea is a natural food to try according to our grandmothers!
It would indeed seem that drinking 5 cups of black tea every day, for about 21 days, would lower cholesterol.
Not a hot tea fan? So, make yourself a delicious iced tea drink instead with:
- black tea
- lemon and orange slices
- a little honey
This will be a great way to quench your thirst while lowering your cholesterol levels.
5. Fiber against bad cholesterol
A healthy diet will help you lower your bad cholesterol levels in addition to being healthy. One of the ways to eat better and lower cholesterol quickly is to add fiber to your meals.
Indeed, if you eat 10 to 30 g of fiber daily, you could lower your bad cholesterol level by 10%!
Increase your consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, while reducing sugars and bad fats.
6. Lower cholesterol with turmeric
Did you know that turmeric also does lower bad cholesterol. In addition, it is one of the spices that help the most against aging!
How to consume turmeric?
Turmeric can be found fresh or powdered and can be added to many recipes. You can even make a turmeric herbal tea! So add a little exoticism to your diet, while fighting cholesterol with turmeric.
7. Substitute butter to lower cholesterol
Do you have a bad habit of adding butter and margarine to all your cooking recipes? When cooking, switch your butter for olive oil or canola oil.
Cut into the butter!
Avoid putting butter on your breads, it will also be better for your health since butter is a fat that contains bad cholesterol, while olive oil gives you good cholesterol.
Moreover, it seems that people who consume about 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil daily lower their bad cholesterol levels while increasing antioxidants in their blood.
8. Berries to fight cholesterol naturally
A Finnish study would have shown that people who ate 1 cup of berries a day for 2 months had reduced their blood pressure and improved their bad cholesterol levels.
Eat wild berries and berries!
When the weather is nice, stock up on strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. The rest of the year, don’t be afraid to eat these frozen berries, as they have been bagged at the peak of their ripeness.
For other tips and remedies on tension, I invite you to read this other article: How to lower blood pressure quickly?
9. Wine, a cure for cholesterol?
Do you like to drink a good glass of wine on occasion? Well did you know that red wine could be a good ally against cholesterol… In moderation of course!
Indeed, thanks to the compounds present in grapes, red wine would help to lower bad cholesterol. Of course, this cholesterol remedy should be consumed in moderation!
Limit yourself to one glass of red wine a day, at dinner time for example.
10. Foods against bad cholesterol
Diet can easily be an important factor for cholesterolbut fortunately there are nevertheless foods that fight it!
Indeed, certain foods are reputed to be useful in the fight against bad cholesterol. And as they are healthy and vitamin foods, they should be added to any good diet:
- Tomatoes prevent cholesterol from oxidizing, making them a good food to add to your diet.
- Watermelon helps prevent arteries from narrowing due to cholesterol.
- Eggplant has soluble fiber that fights cholesterol.
- Pears also reduce cholesterol thanks to their soluble fiber. Add immediately to your diet.
- Oats contain beta-glucan which sticks to cholesterol, helping to eliminate it.
- Thanks to their soluble fibres, legumes prevent cholesterol from being absorbed by the body.
- With unsaturated fats and fiber, nuts automatically reduce cholesterol levels. Since they’re also high in protein, they’ll make a great snack.