How to make a homemade air freshener?
Do you want to breathe a sweet fresh smell in your home? Several recipes exist to concoct your own homemade air freshener yourself.
I therefore present to you 10 recipes for natural air fresheners based on essential oil, lemon, baking soda and other ingredients.
1. Homemade lavender air freshener
I know not everyone likes the smell of lavender, but still it is an excellent natural air freshener for the home.
Fresh lavender to perfume the house!
If you are growing lavender in the garden, you can cut the stems and take a small piece of cotton in which to place the lavender heads when dry. You can have several sachets of lavender around the house, whether in dresser drawers, in a closet or elsewhere, it is an excellent natural air freshener to try!
Diffuse lavender essential oil!
Another way to use lavender as an air freshener is to diffuse it (as an essential oil) into the air using a diffuser. We use an essential oil diffuser at home and it’s really great, we love it!
2. Make a homemade air freshener with a lemon
A super easy to make homemade and natural air freshener recipe is to use lemon slices and rosemary. Here’s how to do it yourself:
- Fill a pot 3/4 full with cold water.
- Add lemon slices and rosemary sprigs.
- Mix gently, bring to a simmer and remove the lid from the pot.
Place the jar in a central location in the home to naturally deodorize the whole house. For a soothing and restful scent, add a few drops of pure vanilla extract to the mixture.
3. Baking Soda Homemade Air Freshener
If you’re looking for a quick and easy homemade air freshener to make then here’s one that only requires baking soda and water:
- Fill a bottle with water (3/4 full) and add baking soda.
- Stir the solution well to dissolve the baking soda in the water.
- Spray the solution all over the house to deodorize well.
This is an air freshener only, if you also want to perfume the house add a few drops of essential oil of your choice.
You can also use this deodorizer to remove stale odors in the house and especially in a closet.
4. Recipe for baking soda and essential oils
I now present to you my favorite recipe for making a homemade and above all natural air freshener. The advantage of this is that it remains effective for several days and even several weeks.
- Add baking soda to a jar (1/3 of the jar).
- Then add 10 drops of essential oil of your choice.
- Mix well, close the jar and make holes in the metal lid (nail and hammer).
Place one or more of these pots in different places to properly deodorize each room in the house.
5. Make a deodorant tablet yourself
Here is another original and natural idea to make by yourself at home… A deodorizing tablet!
For this recipe you need the following ingredients:
- baking soda,
- soy wax.
- lavender or other essential oil
Melt the beeswax, soy wax and baking soda in a bain-marie. Once everything is melted, just add the essential oil of your choice and mold everything into a deodorizing tablet.
Simply heat one of the tablets in a saucepan over low heat to naturally deodorize and scent all the rooms in the house.
6. A perfect natural air freshener for fall
Autumn means apples, the smell of cinnamon, the smell of leaves falling from the trees… Here is a recipe for air freshener and homemade perfume to perfume the whole house.
The ingredients needed to make this air freshener:
- cinnamon sticks
- orange slices
- apple peelings
Mix all the ingredients in a jar, fill with cold water and simmer for a few days to mix the ingredients and smells well together.
7. An air freshener against bad odors
To remove bad odors in a room, in furniture or even in shoes, charcoal is an excellent natural deodorizer to try!
Just take a piece of charcoal and place it in a small cloth pouch (so as not to stain). Then you place the air freshener where the bad odors are present.
Charcoal acts much like baking soda. Indeed, it naturally absorbs bad odors in a small space.
8. Make an air freshener gel for the house
Are you interested in a deodorizing gel that smells good to perfume the house or the car? The blog vanilla girls offers us a recipe idea to make your own gel air freshener. You can put the aroma of essential oil of your choice in this recipe.
Here are the ingredients you need to craft it:
- 30 g of gelatin
- 500ml lukewarm cold water
- 30 drops of essential oil (of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon of table salt
Here are the steps needed to make this deodorant gel:
- Heat the water and then dissolve the gelatin in the hot water.
- Mix well and add table salt to the mixture.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and add the essential oil of your choice.
- Mix well and then pour the solution into one or more glass jars.
For a nice « look » around the house, you can add a few drops of food coloring in the color of your choice.
9. Lemon and baking soda to deodorize the house
Here is another natural air freshener recipe that combines ingredients from other tips and tricks in this article: lemon and baking soda.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a saucepan and add 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix well until the baking soda is completely dissolved and add 1/2 cup of lemon juice.
- Mix, let cool, pour into a “spray” bottle and spray the solution around the house.
This deodorizing spray is ideal for removing bad cooking odors in the kitchen or for eliminating the smell of humidity and mold.
10. A cinnamon stick as a natural deodorant
One last DIY air freshener recipe is to use cinnamon or rather cinnamon sticks!
- Heat a saucepan over low heat and add 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Heat until the kitchen is thoroughly deodorized.
Cinnamon will eliminate cooking odors such as fish and frying odors in a kitchen.