How to make a homemade ant trap?
When ants invade the house it is never a pleasant situation. Especially if the ants are numerous and very invasive!
So if you want to catch them and kill them, here’s how to make a really effective homemade ant trap!
1. Make an ant trap with a plastic bottle
The first ant trap that I recommend at home is the trap made with a plastic bottle.
Here’s how to make this homemade ant trap:
- Cut the plastic bottle in 2 (right in the center of the bottle).
- Add a mixture of sugar and water to the bottom of the bottle.
- Place the other part of the bottle (the neck facing down) in the lower part.
- Change and add a sweet mix again to catch all the ants.
If you can, add live ants to the trap to attract and catch other ants in the house quickly.
Video of this homemade ant trap:
Are you also looking for a trick to destroy an anthill?
If you are looking for a way to eradicate an anthill and kill the queen ant, then my other article offers you some effective tips and products: How to destroy an ant nest in the garden?
2. A natural ant trap with lemon juice
As one is looking for a way to catch ants inside a house, it is important to choose natural and safe tricks and traps.
So one ant trap or rather a homemade natural repellent that you can use against ants is lemon juice. Here is how to make this anti ant remedy:
- Add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in 3 tablespoons of salt.
- Mix the two ingredients well and soak small pieces of fabric in it.
- Scatter the scraps of fabric around the house to keep ants away from the house.
Preferably along windows and doors. Remember to change the pieces of cloth often so that the mixture of lemon juice and salt remains effective against ants.
You can also repel ants with an ingredient, garlic! Indeed, garlic is effective against ants. So you can add some to this lemon juice solution for more efficiency.
3. Make an ant trap with borax and honey
If there is a lot of coming and going in the house, you must quickly stop the ants to prevent a real ant invasion.
So to avoid having even more ants you will have to tackle the real problem, the ant nest. Here is how to make this ant trap:
- Add 4 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of borax to a bowl.
- Mix well and scatter the mixture on small pieces of cardboard around the house.
Be careful not to allow children and pets to have access to this ant trap. Borax is toxic, you have to be very careful.
4. A trap to kill all the ants
If you don’t have time to make your own homemade ant trap, you can of course buy one.
In the form of paste or gel, these traps can contaminate and kill the colony and destroy the nest of ants in the house or even in the garden.
If you had to make a choice, I recommend a bait-type gel that effectively eradicates ants in the house and kills the anthill.
Anti ant gel
- Destroys the entire anthill quickly.
- Eliminates larvae and adult ants.
- Effective trap to kill ants in the house.
5. A clean, ant-free home!
When the weather warms up outside the ants seem to multiply to our dismay and storm our homes. But did you know that a house that lacks cleaning is very popular with ants and other critters such as cockroaches.
So if you don’t want to see ants in the house, you have to keep your house clean and especially keep the kitchen and the dining room even cleaner and without traces of food on the floor.
The garbage area, the kitchen sink, the floors, under the dining table… All places where ants love to visit to pick up leftover food.
That’s why it’s important to vacuum and thoroughly wash counters and floors in the kitchen to keep ants out.
Do you also have a problem with spiders in the house? Here is an article with several practical tips: Homemade spider trap.