How to make a homemade decongestant?
With winter comes cold weather and unfortunately also the little winter ailments including runny nose, cough, dry throat… So how about making your own natural decongestant?
Today I offer you some recipes for homemade and 100% natural decongestants.
1. Homemade decongestant with eucalyptus essential oil
A first decongestant easy to make at home is to use the fragrant and decongestant power of eucalyptus… Rather eucalyptus essential oil.
- Heat water in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- Then add a few drops of essential oil to very hot water.
- Gently lean over the bowl of hot water and inhale the steam.
Repeat this trick 2-4 times daily to naturally unclog the nose and help the airways.
2. Make a natural decongestant balm
I now share a recipe for you to make your own homemade decongestant balm. For this recipe you need these ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons of beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
Now here are the steps to prepare your decongestant balm:
- Heat and melt the beeswax in a double boiler and remove from the heat once the wax has melted.
- Then add the coconut oil and mix to make the mixture completely homogeneous.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, a glass container with a lid.
- Leave to cool, then add all the essential oils and mix to finish.
Then apply the decongestant balm on your back, your chest or even under your nose to decongest it well.
To avoid any adverse reactions, test the homemade balm on a small area of your skin before applying it under your nose and chest.
3. Homemade decongestant recipe to unclog your nose
Now here is another decongestant recipe that you can make at home whenever your nose feels stuffy. Do not wait to be completely congested, use this home remedy at the first signs of stuffy nose!
For this decongestant recipe you need:
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of organic honey
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Now here is how to prepare this home remedy:
- Heat the cider vinegar and lemon in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the honey, mix and then add the ginger and pepper.
- Let cool and pour the mixture into an airtight container.
From the first symptoms, take 1 tablespoon of this remedy to decongest your nose naturally.
4. Easy-to-make homemade respiratory balm recipe
Here is one last nose and throat decongestant recipe that you can easily make at home. You need these ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons of shea butter
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 6 drops of tea tree essential oil
Simple and quick to do:
Then just add all the essential oils to the shea butter and mix well to make the mixture homogeneous. Massage the balm into the chest, back and throat as needed to quickly feel better.
All of the homemade decongestant recipes in this article are designed for adults.