How to make candles?
We really like candles for romantic dinners, to create a relaxing atmosphere or to perfume our interior. However, they are often expensive to buy. It’s easy to make your own candles!
With just a few ingredients and accessories, you can start making beautiful candles, scented or not. Here is how to make a candle at home.
Tips and steps to make a homemade candle:
1. What do you need to make candles?
To make candles at home, you only need a few ingredients and accessories:
- A wick
- An old cauldron for melting wax
- A mold or any other container
Of course, you can add dye, fragrances, or just nothing if you just want to enjoy their glow.
Of course the most important after the wax are the wicks. Here is a set of 100 pre-waxed wicks for making candles at home.
- set of 100 candle wicks
- pre-waxed, coated with soy wax
- can be used with all waxes
2. Kits to make homemade candles
Most DIY stores sell kits for making candles at home, often aimed at children but many are aimed at creative adults. These sets include everything you will need to make your own candles: wax, moulds, wicks, etc.
These kits can be a great way to get started in candle crafting. It can also be a great activity to do with the kids on a rainy day. They will be proud to show off their creations to their friends!
3. What wax to use to make candles?
Paraffin has been used for a long time in the manufacture of candles. But it is also possible to make candles from other waxes. Here are the waxes that can be used to make candles at home:
Paraffin: This is the traditional wax that has been used in candle making for hundreds of years. It is cheap and you can easily add colors and scents to it. The main concern with paraffin is its potentially toxic nature.
soy: This newcomer is becoming more and more popular. Soy wax was created in the 90s when the « natural » movement started gaining momentum. it is usually made with soybean oil, but also sometimes mixed with paraffin and other waxes (palm, bees, etc.)
beeswax: The oldest ingredient in candle making. As the name suggests, it is produced by bees and is a by-product of the honey-making process. Because of this, it has a naturally golden color, as well as a subtle, sweet scent.
beeswax for candle
- For candle and decorative item
- Can be used to wax furniture
- For creams and ointments
The candle gel: Gel for candles is actually paraffin oil gelled with a special polymer. The gel has the great advantage of being translucent, which makes it easy to color the desired color, as well as burning much slower than pure paraffin.
- Perfect for creating your own candles
- Can be heated to make it liquid
- For creative project
4. The basic technique to make a candle
A candle is made in a few simple steps. Remember that the wax will be hot, remember to protect your hands and your surroundings.
- Melt the wax over low heat
- Add your fragrance or essential oil, colorant, etc.
- Mix well
- Insert a wick to the bottom of the mold or container
- Gently pour in the melted wax, holding the wick straight
- Hold the wick centered using chopsticks
- Let harden
This project can be done with children, paying careful attention to their safety. To make a pretty colored candle, add wax crayons of the desired color when melting the wax.
You need a good dozen to get a color of great intensity.
Do you want to make candles to fill the air in your home with a sweet scent? The easiest way to make scented candles is to add a few drops of the essential oil of your choice when the wax is melted.
Choose an essential oil according to its properties, such as lavender and its calming effects.
Do you miss the seaside? Create a gel candle inspired by marine decor. Here’s how:
- Install the wick so that it is centered.
- Pour into a glass about 9 centimeters high, 10 millimeters of decorative sand and some seashells.
- Melt 400 grams of candle gel over low heat, and add a blue coloring agent. If desired, this is also the time to add a fragrance.
- Pour the melted gel into the glass to reach 1.5 centimeters. Leave to cool for ten minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the melted gel and let cool. Then trim the excess wick.
Making beeswax candles couldn’t be easier. All you will need is beeswax, wicks, glass jars, and a double boiler or old cauldron.
Start by preparing your pots, and place the wicks in them. Then, gently melt the beeswax in a bain-marie. Pour the wax into the jars, hold the wicks well in the center using chopsticks, and let cool.
Did you know that you can make candles without wax, but with food fat? You can even make candles out of grease and add color and a pleasant scent to them. Here’s how to make a homemade candle, without wax:
What you will need for this waxless candle:
- Glass pot
- Alimentary fat
- Essential oil of your choice
- 1 wick
Start by melting the shortening in the microwave, then the pastels. Combine the two and add the essential oil to it. Place the wick in the center of the jar, and carefully pour the fat mixture.
Leave to cool slightly, then place the candle in the freezer for 30 minutes. Trim the wick to the correct height, and voila! You have a candle without wax.
With candles also come wax stains on different surfaces. Here is an article to clean them all: How to remove candle wax?