How to make real friends?
When I was younger, I always had a somewhat bohemian and lonely side, which made it difficult for me to find and make real friends.
Child, teenager or adult, here are some tips and advice to make friends « more » easily. I wish you nice encounters!
1. Site to make friends on the Internet
If you are rather shy and don’t really like to meet « real » people to start your research, then the Internet is the best solution to start, I believe.
There are many websites to make friends, here are some popular ones:
- Meetup.com: Meetup is an essential site and app for making friends and meeting new people. It’s much more than a site to find friends, it’s a place that allows you to meet people from all over, do activities and share your passions with other people like you.
- Make-Friends.com: This website is free and allows you to chat and exchange with new people in order to find a real friendship. As the average age on this site is 35, it is therefore primarily a site to help adults make friends.
- Zanmie.com: This is now a site for making female friends only. So if you are a woman and want to find a true friend sincerely close to where you live, Zanmie is the solution.
- quintonic.fr: As the name suggests, this is a friend making site for adults and more specifically for men and women 50+. This is the ideal site to expand your circle of friends and participate in great activities and outings in your region.
2. Make new friends through social media
Similar to the different websites suggested above, social networks are an easy and fast way to get in touch with new people and make new friends.
Depending on your age, the choice of social network will certainly be different, but the goal is the same, to find friends!
Find friends on Facebook:
How the majority of profiles are private on Facebook I recommend that you first join private or public groups on a subject that interests you. For example, if you like gardening then join a group on this subject and you will discover men and women who share this same passion as you.
Join a forum on Reddit:
Reddit is a « kind » of social network that allows you to share links and information on topics that interest you. So if you like gardening, join a gardening forum to discuss and discover profiles of users like you, and who knows, make new friends.
3. Make friends through video games
If you play video games then this is a great starting point for creating new virtual friendships.
Of course, this trick is more intended for the youngest, for teenagers, but also for the oldest, in short, all those who love video games!
Here are some of the most popular video games:
- World of Warcraft
Now that you know a few places and sites to meet new people, here are 5 tips and advice to increase your chances of making friends.
4. Take an interest in others and be available
To have a sincere and true friendship it is very important to be interested in others, to show a real interest in one’s friends.
True friends are available for others, they know how to listen, comfort and care, it’s really important. You will never find « real » friends if you are all about yourself!
Here are some simple and effective tips for taking care of your friends:
- Congratulate them on a professional or personal success.
- Comfort them in a difficult situation.
- Offer to help with any service.
- Invite them over for dinner or just to chat.
5. Go out to meet new people
How do you make new friends if you always stay at home?
So here are some ideas for activities to get out of the house and help you meet new people and maybe even make some new friends:
- Volunteering: Volunteering in your community is a great way to make new friends. You will meet people who are committed to helping others and who share common interests with yours.
- Do group activities: Like volunteering, group activities allow you to meet people who share the same tastes and passions as you. These can be sports, artistic, culinary or even cultural activities.
- Make friends at work: Work is undoubtedly one of the best tricks to make friends easily. So during the next group activity at work (5 to 7, BBQ, dinner at the restaurant, Christmas party), go there too!
- Make friends at school: School, like work, is a place where it is easy to make friends. Participate in extracurricular activities, join a club on a subject you like or join the school sports team.
6. Be friendly with neighbors
Here is a simple, easy and quick trick to make new friends… Take an interest in your neighbours! Whether for children or adults, it is important to be friendly with your neighborhood.
Maybe you don’t know it yet, but your neighbors on the right could become really good friends if you take the time to talk to them and take an interest in them.
- Wave or say hello when you see them outside.
- Offer them fresh eggs from your laying hens.
- Offer to help if your neighbor seems to need it.
- Offer to babysit their dog while they’re away.
- Invite them to dinner if the situation arises.
It’s a great way to make first contact with your neighbours. These will no doubt become valuable friends over time.
7. A dog to make friends
One easy friend-making tip that works really well is to get a dog.
Walking a dog in a park inevitably attracts people’s stares and comments. In addition, many of us do not hesitate to pet the animal and talk to it.
This is a great tactic for conversation starters and making new acquaintances and who knows, maybe forming new friendships over time.
8. Pick the Right Conversation Topics
The topics of conversation you choose to have with others have a real bearing on the relationship you will have with others.
Avoid controversial topics!
Avoid talking about controversial topics or topics that may make others uncomfortable. Religion, politics and finances are 3 topics that you should absolutely avoid having with people you meet for the first time.
Bringing up this kind of subject can possibly scare away a potential friend.