How to make your natural mosquito repellent spray?
In spring and even more so in summer, mosquitoes arrive in large numbers! As I live in the countryside, I know what I’m talking about AHAH!
To help you keep mosquitoes away naturally here are some remedies and recipes to make your own homemade mosquito spray!
1. Make a mosquito repellent spray with essential oils
Rather than buying a mosquito repellent product with a ton of toxic and questionable products, here is a first recipe for making your own natural mosquito repellent spray with essential oils.
For this homemade mosquito repellent spray you need:
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice (jojoba, hazelnut, apricot)
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
Preparing the spray:
- Pour and mix all the ingredients well in a jar or bottle.
- Mix well and shake before using on skin and body.
- Spray the mixture on the skin, paying close attention to the eyes, nose and mouth.
You can keep this mosquito repellent spray for 2 months without any problem.
2. Mosquito repellent spray recipe with lavender hydrosol
I want to clarify before moving on to the ingredients of this 2nd recipe that all the sprays offered in this article are intended for adults only. They should never be used on children and pregnant women.
Here is the list of ingredients needed for this 2nd homemade mosquito repellent spray:
- 100 ml of organic lavender hydrosol
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of 70° alcohol
- 20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Here is how to prepare this mosquito repellent:
- Pour all the essential oils and the lavender hydrosol into a glass bottle.
- Then add the 70° alcohol and the jojoba oil and mix well.
- Leave the mixture on for a few hours before using it on the skin.
Do not forget to shake the bottle well before each use so that the spray is really effective against mosquitoes.
3. Make homemade mosquito repellent
Finally, I offer you a recipe that I tested last summer and which worked well against mosquitoes. It’s not a spray like the other 2 recipes but rather a mosquito repellent balm.
For this mosquito repellent balm you need:
- 1/3 cup Neem oil (buckthorn)
- 3 tablespoons organic beeswax
- 20 drops lemongrass (or lemon eucalyptus) essential oil
Preparation of the homemade balm:
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax and add the Neem oil.
- Mix with a whisk for 1 to 2 minutes, remove from the heat and add the essential oil.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container(s) and allow to cool and harden.
Apply the mosquito repellent balm to the skin a few minutes before going outside. Mosquitoes hate the smell of sea buckthorn oil as well as citronella oil.