How to make your own baker’s yeast?
Finding fresh yeast isn’t always easy so why not make your own baker’s yeast recipe to cook that delicious homemade bread you crave?
Here are some tips and practical advice for preparing homemade baker’s yeast yourself.
1. Make baker’s yeast with flour and water
Here is the very first homemade yeast recipe that will allow you to make a delicious loaf of bread… Yum Yum!
As the title of the recipe suggests you only need 2 ingredients to prepare this yeast:
- 1/4 cup soft wheat flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water (not hot or cold)
With the ingredients in hand, here is how to make your homemade baker’s yeast a success:
- Use a large bowl and add flour and lukewarm water
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Leave to sit until the mixture swells (about 3 or 4 days should be enough)
The warmer and more humid the room where you leave your yeast, the faster the waiting time.
2. Recipe for baker’s yeast with potato
Another recipe particularly loved by lovers of good loaves of homemade bread is the one made with a potato.
Here are the ingredients to start the recipe:
- 4 cups of water
- 1 large potato
- 1 tablespoon of table salt
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
Here is how to prepare this yeast:
- Peel the potato and boil until tender.
- Mash the potato and add salt and sugar and mix well.
- Cool the mixture in a large bowl and add the 4 cups of water.
- Cover the bowl and the mixture with plastic wrap or the like and let sit for a few days.
As with the other yeast recipe, the warmer and more humid the place, the faster the homemade yeast will be ready. The time it takes for the yeast to swell can easily take anywhere from 1-7 days depending on the conditions.
3. Make your own baker’s yeast with beer
A 3rd and last homemade recipe for making your own baker’s yeast is the one based on beer… Yes yes beer. 🙂 Find the ingredients and steps needed to make this homemade bread yeast.
The ingredients you need:
- 100 ml of craft and unpasteurized beer (avoid commercial beers which are generally pasteurized).
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of flour
Here’s how to make this beer baker’s yeast:
- Pour the 100 ml of beer (unpasteurized) into a bowl.
- Add the flour and sugar to the beer and mix well.
- Let stand about 10 hours on the kitchen counter.
Usually overnight is enough for the yeast to swell and be ready to be made into a loaf of bread.
4. Tips and tricks for successful homemade baker’s yeast:
To succeed and keep your bread yeast, it is important to follow a few simple instructions and guidelines. Here are some practical tips for a successful baker’s yeast every time.
- Store baker’s yeast in an airtight jar in the refrigerator at all times.
- If fermentation still does not take place after a few days, unfortunately you have to start your yeast recipe again.
- 1 cup of homemade (wet) yeast is about equal to one packet of store-bought dry yeast.
- Homemade baker’s yeast can be stored in the fridge for 7 to 10 days without any problem.
- Homemade baker’s yeast can be frozen for longer storage. Just add water to cook it once thawed.