How to make your own homemade styling gel?
Are you interested in a homemade and 100% natural styling gel? If you are looking for a hair gel without harmful products for your hair then I have the solution!
Today I offer you my best homemade styling gel recipes that are easy to make.
1. Quick and easy styling gel recipe
To start, I offer you my styling gel recipe that I use to balance and make my hair shine naturally. This hair gel recipe is simple, quick and free to make:
- Dissolve in 1/2 cup of hot water 1/3 teaspoon of gelatin.
- Then add 2 drops of lemon essential oil and 2 other drops of mint EO.
- Apply a small amount of your homemade styling gel to your hair and store the gel in the fridge.
If you have particularly dry hair, I recommend chamomile and lavender essential oil for this recipe instead.
2. Homemade styling gel recipe for defined curls
As you will discover in the video below, the star ingredient of this hair gel is flaxseed. Christine, beauty youtuber, explains that she uses this gel particularly to define her curls naturally.
- Add 1/4 cup of flax seeds and 2 cups of water to a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then heat over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Mix well and when the mixture becomes viscous remove from heat.
- Filter the mixture to keep only the gel (without the flax seeds).
- Add a few drops of lavender or lemon essential oil for a good smell.
Store your homemade hair gel in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
3. Aloe Vera Hair Gel Recipe
Personally I love aloe vera, I have 4 plants at home and I love using this natural product for skin care, but also to take care of my hair naturally.
- It’s hard to get simpler than this recipe which contains only one ingredient… Aloe vera 🙂
- Cut 1 or 2 large branches and extract 5 to 8 tablespoons of aloe.
- Then use a sticky stocking to filter the gel to remove residue and particles.
This homemade gel is particularly effective in moisturizing the hair of a dry nature as well as to define curls. I use it especially a lot in the winter.
4. Make a styling gel with agar agar
Another natural product that you can use to make your own homemade hair gel is agar agar. I haven’t tested this homemade gel recipe myself, but it seems to be very effective too.
- Boil 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and then add 1/2 tablespoon of agar agar.
- Mix well to dissolve the agar-agar, pour into a container and place it in the refrigerator.
- Let the mixture solidify for 2 to 4 hours and then add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera to improve the hold of the styling gel.
As with other styling gel recipes, you can add a few drops of essential oil of your choice for a nice smell. Personally, I like lemon and lavender for my homemade hair care.