How to filter and purify your water?
Having access to clean water is vital for humans, animals and plants. However, the water can be contaminated with pathogens, chemicals or other impurities that can cause disease and health problems.
If you find yourself in the wild without access to clean drinking water, or if the water in your home is unsafe, there are a number of ways you can purify or filter the water to remove sediment or contaminants. 10-Trucs therefore presents tips for filtering and purifying water naturally.
Tips and products to purify water:
1. How to purify water while hiking?
If you haven’t brought enough water, or if you are lost in the forest, you will need to find a water source quickly.
As you cannot be sure that water from a stream or river is safe to drink, always carry water purification tablets with you.
These water purification tablets are made of chlorine dioxide, or iodine, and kill bacteria and viruses in the water. To use these tablets, fill a pitcher or jar with water and add enough tablets to treat the water.
One purification tablet typically treats 1 liter of water. These tablets usually need 30 minutes to four hours to work and purify the water.
Are you a hiking fanatic in the forest or in the mountains, and are you looking for a solution to purify water as needed? Well think about getting a purifying straw!
Indeed, the purifying straw is small and light enough to be easily transported in your backpack during a hike. It will allow you to eliminate bacteria and other contaminants. Also to have in your emergency kit!
Not everyone has access to drinking water at home. Fortunately, there are different ways to filter sediment and purify tap water.
You can get a water filter to filter out sediment, pathogens, metals, and other pollutants.
To do this, you can use different types of filters:
It is possible to use different products and filters to filter water from a tap or the water of an entire house.
Filter for water inlet:
Filters that are installed at the main water inlet, and which clean all the water that enters your home.
This type of water filter is ideal for home occupants. These are point-of-use filters that are installed directly on taps.
Faucet water filter
- Easy to install on the faucet
- For kitchen and bathroom faucet
- Great absorption capacity
Countertop filters, such as carbon filter carafes or water purification bottles, that you manually fill with water. Here is a carafe with a tap to fill and place in the fridge.
Filter carafe, Brita
- Convenient and easy to fill tap
- For the refrigerator
- Reduces scale, chlorine and lead
UV water purifier:
Portable UV water purifiers that eliminate bacteria, viruses and other contaminants in small amounts of water.
Purifying Activated Charcoal:
And finally, the vegetable activated charcoal sticks, which are added to a pitcher of water. These sticks are made of bamboo, a wood that is said to have the best absorbency.
Activated carbon filter
- Ideal for purifying a carafe of water
- 1 stick to filter 1.5 liters of water
- Filters water quickly and efficiently
Many people choose to collect rainwater to then water flowerbeds, lawns and vegetable gardens. But did you know that it was also possible to collect rainwater for drinking?
Of course, before consuming this rainwater, you will need to filter it. Here is how to filter and purify rainwater so that it is safe to drink:
- A pre-filtration system is installed between the gutter and the cistern in order to retain the largest particles.
- Then, a primary and secondary filtration system is installed. This allows the water to be used for the washing machine, toilet and shower.
- Finally, for tap water to be safe to drink, a ceramic cartridge filter or a UV sterilizer must be added to the water outlets.
Did you know that you can purify water naturally with a pine branch?
Indeed, some plants are effective in removing pathogens from water and pine is among the best.
To remove viruses and bacteria from your water:
- Take a small pine branch, remove the bark and place the branch in a bucket.
- Slowly pour the water, letting it run over the stick.
- As the water runs over the sap inside the branch, the sap will trap and hold the pathogens in the water.
A practical tip to know when you are lost in the forest!
7. Boil water to purify and drink it
Boiling water is a great way to kill bacteria, viruses and parasites. This is why municipalities recommend boiling water before consuming it, when the filtration systems are down.
To do this:
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the water to cool before drinking.
However, it is important to mention that this technique alone will not remove heavy metals and chemical contaminants from the water.
8. Purify water with the sun
Eh yes! You can purify water thanks to the sun! It is a very effective method for killing pathogens in water. Very simple, here’s how:
- Fill a clear, smooth plastic bottle with water.
- Close the cap tightly and place the bottle in direct sunlight for six hours to kill parasites, bacteria and viruses.
This method works because the plastic traps heat from the sun inside the bottle and the UVA rays pasteurize the water.
Don’t have anything on hand to filter water from a river or stream, but do you have a plastic bottle?
Here are the steps to filter and purify river water:
- Cut the bottom of the plastic bottle and replace the bottle cap with a piece of thin fabric (cotton cheese, cheesecloth, gauze, etc.) that you tie with an elastic band.
- Place the bottle upside down on another container, the end of the cloth facing the floor.
- Put fine sand, charcoal, coarse sand and rocks into the bottle in the order listed and pour water inside.
Here you have water that has been purified naturally, through a filtration system offered by nature!
Purify water, you may also like:
What are the best natural antibiotics? Here is a list of the best natural antibiotics found at home.
How to make your natural insecticide? Several products and ingredients can be used to make your own natural insecticide.
How to cure diarrhea naturally? Did you catch diarrhea? Do not panic, come and discover the natural antidiarrheal tops.