How do you remove a beer stain from fabric? And yes, beer just like other types of drinks and liquids stain textiles and other surfaces. A splash of beer came so quickly so watch out!
A stain on a sofa or a piece of clothing, here are my tips and tricks for removing a beer stain easily!
1. Does beer stain?
When you drop beer on the floor, a piece of clothing, a sofa or other surfaces, the first thing you think of is the smell, which is likely to soak in, but beer can also leave marks and dark circles on fabrics.
If you act quickly the beer stains will be easy to remove but if you wait too long then they will be much more difficult to clean.
2. Remove a beer stain from clothing
As we said at the beginning of the article, the beer stain must be cleaned as quickly as possible.
So if you have just spilled beer on a piece of clothing or a tablecloth, here is what to do:
- Rinse the fabric quickly and thoroughly with lukewarm water (to remove as much of the beer stain as possible)
- Just send the garment to the machine on the normal cycle to finish.
If the beer stain is old and well embedded in the fabric then go to the following tips and tricks!
Rinsing with water can overcome various liquid stains including coffee. For other stuff it’s here: Removing a coffee stain from fabric.
3. Remove an old beer stain from a fabric
If the beer stain dates back a few days, then simply rinsing with water may not be enough of a solution.
So for a colored fabric here is how to detach it:
- Mix white vinegar with water and gently rub the beer stain with a cloth.
- Rinse the garment and repeat until the stain disappears from the fabric.
- Finish with a quick machine wash as usual.
You can use the vinegar trick on colored cotton linen but also on white linen.
If you have just stained clothing or other fabric surfaces (other than cotton) here is how to remove them.
- Beer stain on wool: For a spilled beer stain on wool, dab the stain with a swab soaked in diluted ammonia.
- Beer stain on silk: In equal parts, mix water and rubbing alcohol and dab the beer stain with this mixture.
- Beer stain on a synthetic fabric: Mix water and liquid dish soap and dab the stain.
5. Clean the stain with Marseille soap
Marseille soap can also be used to remove various fabrics and textiles stained by beer or other alcohol.
Here are the steps to use it well on fabrics:
- Rub the beer stain with a little slightly damp Marseille soap.
- Let the Marseille soap act for 15 minutes and rub.
- Put the garment in the washing machine to finish cleaning (or rinse with a cloth and water)
6. Remove a beer stain from a fabric sofa
If you have just spilled beer on a fabric sofa, don’t panic!
Here’s how to detach your sofa effectively:
- Soak as much of the beer stain as possible with paper towel.
- Mix 70° alcohol and lukewarm water in equal quantities.
- Soak a sponge or cloth in this solution and dab the remaining stain.
- Then rinse with a new damp cloth and dry the fabric.
7. A beer stain on a carpet
Oops, did you just drop some beer on the carpet or doormat?
Here’s a trick that works really well on carpets:
- Quickly soak as much beer as possible with paper towel.
- Pour a little sparkling water directly on the remaining stain and leave for 2 minutes.
- Then dab the stain with a swab soaked in 70 degree alcohol and let it dry.