How to remove a dried urine stain from a mattress?
Children and pets can of course escape onto mattresses causing pee stains and rings. Unfortunately, these urine stains can be difficult to clean from a mattress.
Dad of 2 little boys, I’m in a good position to help you clean everything up. I therefore suggest to you my top tips and tricks for removing an old or recent urine stain from a mattress.
1. Clean urine on a mattress (still damp)
My first tip for cleaning a urine stain is to use Terre de Sommières. But be careful, this natural product is effective only if the pee stain is still wet because on an old and dry stain it will not be effective at all.
Terre de Sommières is a natural product made from clay powder. It is a very popular stain remover for cleaning various stains including urine stains on a mattress.
In addition to cleaning, this natural powder helps eliminate bad odors such as the smell of pee.
Here’s how to use it on the mattress:
- Sprinkle the powder on the urine stain.
- Leave to act for several hours.
- Scrub with a brush and remove the powder with the vacuum cleaner.
- Repeat as needed to completely remove stain.
If you don’t have Terre de Sommières at home, here it is at a low price on Amazon:
land of sommieres
- Cleans and loosens greasy and liquid substances
- Absorbs dry stains on textiles and fabrics
- Also neutralizes bad odors
2. Remove pee from a mattress with baking soda
Another quick trick to remove a pee stain from a mattress is to use baking soda. This product is very useful for removing a multitude of stains and even for removing the bad smell of urine on a mattress or on a child’s clothes.
So if you don’t have Terre de Sommières, here’s how to use the baking soda you have in the fridge instead:
- Pour baking soda on the pee stain on the mattress.
- Leave on for a few hours to completely eliminate all the smell.
- Then rub the urine stain with a brush.
- Add more baking soda and leave for another hour.
- Vacuum to finish cleaning the urine stain.
Baking soda is a natural and effective product for absorbing urine stains on a mattress or carpet. If you still don’t have one at home then here it is:
Baking soda, Nortembio
- Multi-stain product to clean naturally
- Ecological and economical cleaning product
- Ideal for cleaning and deodorizing different surfaces
3. Remove an old urine stain from a mattress
Did you just notice old, dry urine stains on your child’s mattress? More difficult to remove, it is therefore necessary to use the right product to successfully clean old urine stains on a mattress.
Borax or if you prefer sodium borate, this is the product you need to find and use to clean up that dry pee. Borax is a stain-removing product that cleans stains thoroughly and especially eliminates bad smells.
Here’s how to use Borax to remove a dry pee stain from a mattress:
- Moisten (spray) the pee stain with a little cold water.
- Sprinkle the Borax liberally over the urine stain (cover the entire stain well).
- Scrub and let the borax act for a few more minutes.
- Vacuum everything to finish cleaning the stain on the mattress.
4. Detach a mattress with hydrogen peroxide
Another home remedy to loosen a urine-stained mattress is to use hydrogen peroxide. This product is really excellent for cleaning your child’s pee stains on a mattress but also cat urine stains on a carpet for example.
This mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is VERY effective in removing urine stains but also other yellow stains and perspiration on mattresses.
Here’s how to do this cleaning trick:
- Mix the equivalent of 1 1/2 cups of hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix well and then add 1 or 2 drops of liquid dish soap (clear).
- Pour the mixture directly onto old, dry urine stains and sprinkle with baking soda.
- Leave the 2 solutions on for 5 to 8 hours (the longer the better).
- Rinse with a damp cloth and let dry again to finish.
The hydrogen peroxide trick can also be effective for several other stubborn stains. Here are some other mattress care tips: Tip for cleaning a mattress.
If the real problem is the bad smell coming from your mattress because of a child pee or an animal, then why not use essential oils? This is a super simple trick to quickly remove the smell of pee on the mattress.
So whether it is with the trick of baking soda or the one with the earth of sommières it is enough to add a few drops of essential oil of lavender to the mixture.
You can also use this trick to make your mattress smell good.
- Mix in a bowl 1 cup baking soda with 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Once well mixed, the paste (the mixture of baking soda and oil) is allowed to dry.
- Once completely dry, apply the paste to the entire mattress and rub with a brush or a dry cloth.
- Leave on for 10 to 20 minutes and vacuum to remove everything.
This grandmother’s trick is really interesting to give a good fresh and relaxing smell to your mattress and your bed.
6. Make a homemade mattress stain remover
Do you like making your own homemade cleaners and stain removers? Well here is a recipe that will allow you to quickly clean an old urine stain or other stubborn stains on a mattress.
To make this homemade cleanser you need:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup of Sommières earth
- 1/4 cup Marseille soap
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
Mix all the ingredients and apply to the urine stain on the mattress. Can also be used to remove a blood stain from the mattress or other stubborn stains.
Don’t forget to vacuum to remove all traces of this stain remover before putting the fitted sheet back on the mattress.
As you may already know white vinegar is a natural household cleaner and most importantly an inexpensive cleaner.
So yes, vinegar is particularly effective at removing a dry pee stain from a mattress or even bed sheets. Here’s how to use it:
- Moisten the urine stain with the white vinegar.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the stain.
- Leave to act for 5 to 10 minutes and rub the stain with a slightly damp cloth.
- Rinse and dry the mattress to complete the cleaning.
In addition to cleaning that old pee stain, vinegar helps eliminate the bacteria responsible for the unpleasant smell of urine on the mattress.
8. Clean a urine stain with ammonia
Another trick to remove old urine stains but also other stubborn stains on a mattress is simply a mixture of water and ammonia.
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Soak a cloth with a mixture of ammonia and a little cold water.
- Dab the pee stain with this solution and rinse with a clean cloth and water.
- Allow to dry to finish cleaning the stain.
Ammonia is also very effective in removing stains of blood, vomit or sweat on a mattress. Don’t forget to rinse well at the end to complete the cleaning.