How to remove a grease stain from wood?
Whether on a table, cupboard, chest of drawers, parquet or other wooden surfaces and furniture, it is important to act quickly to prevent grease from becoming embedded in the wood.
Although this type of stain is stubborn, it is possible to make them disappear! Here are some good tips and tricks for removing a grease stain from wood.
1. Remove a grease stain that is still fresh on wood
If you have just dropped something greasy on a wooden piece of furniture, you must act quickly. Here’s how:
- Take a paper towel and soak up as much fat as possible.
- Then sprinkle Terre de Sommière on the grease stain and leave to act.
- After 30 minutes vacuum the powder which will have absorbed the remaining grease on the wood.
Unfortunately, if there is still a little fat in the wood grain, you will have to use sandpaper or fine-grain steel wool to rub and remove the stain still embedded in the wood. It will therefore be necessary to wax or varnish the furniture again.
2. Clean a grease stain on wooden furniture
Some natural products that we all have at home can also be useful for cleaning grease stains on wood!
So once the excess fat has been absorbed with paper towels, use one of these products to complete the stain removal:
- white vinegar
- lemon juice
On the other hand, if the wood is waxed, the best product to eliminate the greasy stain is white spirit, whereas if it is varnished, baking soda is more appropriate.
3. Remove a grease stain from a wooden deck
If you have spilled oil or other oily or greasy material on a wooden deck then baking soda or soda crystals can save your life!
With baking soda:
- Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda in 2 cups of water (adjust amounts for a large area of wood to be stripped).
- Soak a sponge in this solution and rub the grease-stained wood (in the direction of the grain of the wood).
- Rinse quickly, dry and repeat as needed.
With soda crystals:
- Locate the grease stain and sprinkle it with soda crystals and rub with a damp sponge or cloth.
- Rinse immediately afterwards and dry the wood surface well to finish.
4. Remove a grease stain from varnished wood
If it is varnished wood, parquet or wooden furniture, clay stone or Marseille soap are 2 good solutions to eliminate fat.
With the clay stone:
- Dampen a cloth or sponge with water and sprinkle some clay stone on it.
- Gently rub the grease stain, rinse with a new cloth and water and dry to finish.
With Marseille soap:
- Moisten the Marseille soap and rub the grease stain.
- Let the soap act for 30 to 60 minutes and rinse with a damp cloth to clean everything thoroughly.
Before trying all these tricks, you can also try to remove the grease stain with soapy water and a cloth, quite simply!