How to remove candle from a fabric tablecloth?
A romantic dinner, a birthday party, a power outage, eating by candlelight is great, but watch out for candle stains!
I offer you today the best tips and tricks for removing a candle stain from a tablecloth. Happy cleaning! 🙂
1. Remove excess candle wax from the tablecloth
Before moving on to cleaning tips and tricks, it is important to remove as much candle wax as possible from the tablecloth. Very simple, here’s how:
- Use the back of a teaspoon and scrape out the candle wax.
- Remove as much wax as possible, but be careful not to damage the tablecloth.
You can also use a rounded knife or better still a plastic spatula to remove the excess candle stain.
2. Remove the rest of the candle stain with a hot iron
Once you have removed as much of the candle wax as possible from the tablecloth you will need to use the heat of an iron to remove the rest of the stain.
- Heat the iron and lay 4 layers of absorbent paper on the candle stain.
- Run the hot iron over the paper towel until the wax stain disappears completely.
- Finish with a machine wash to completely remove the remaining candle stain.
3. Remove candle with vinegar and baking soda
If candle wax leaves a stain of color in the fabric of the tablecloth, I know a grandma’s recipe that works really well!
Here’s how to pull off this trick on your white tablecloth:
- Let the candle wax dry and remove the excess with the back of a spoon once hardened.
- Sprinkle and completely cover the stain with baking soda.
- Pour white vinegar over the baking soda and let it act for a few seconds.
- Gently rub the stain with a rag or an old toothbrush.
- Rinse with water, repeat as needed and finish cleaning the tablecloth by machine.
4. Melt the candle wax with a hair dryer
No matter which trick you choose, it’s always a good idea to remove as much wax as possible to start with.
Now here is the hair dryer trick:
- Heat and melt the remaining wax stain with a hair dryer.
- At the same time, dab the stain with a paper towel to absorb the wax.
- Gently rub the candle stain with a cloth and a mixture of vinegar and water (equal quantity).
- Machine wash the tablecloth to finish, as you usually do.
You can use this trick for tablecloths, but also for polyester, cotton and even linen clothes.
5. Other tips and tricks for removing candles from a tablecloth
If you still can’t completely remove candle wax stains from the tablecloth then here are some other tips and products to try.
- soda crystals: Mix soda crystals with water and dab the greasy stain left by the candle with a cloth. Rinse and repeat until the grease stain is completely gone from the tablecloth.
- hydrogen peroxide: Dab the remaining candle stain with a cloth and hydrogen peroxide. This trick is very effective in removing the greasy stain impregnated in the fabric of the tablecloth.
- white spirit: Finally, for a really stubborn candle stain, use white spirit. Simply dab the colored candle stain with a rag and white spirit. Rinse and repeat to thoroughly remove the stain.