How to remove chewing gum easily? If you have just noticed chewing gum on plastic, wood or worse on clothing, don’t panic and follow the tips offered here.
I propose in this article some good tips and tricks for removing chewing gum on different surfaces.
1. Remove chewing gum from fabric with an ice cube
The best trick to successfully remove chewing gum from clothing, carpets or other pieces of fabric is the ice cube trick!
The ice cube is also effective for removing chewing gum from plastic, carpet, wood and various textiles.
2 small simple steps to do:
- Gently rub the ice cube on the chewing gum for 1 minute to thoroughly cool and harden the gum stain.
- Gently pull the chewing gum with your fingers or better with tweezers to remove everything.
The ice cube trick can be used to peel gum off all types of clothing and fabrics.
2. Put the garment in the freezer
Always using the cold as a trick, did you know that it was possible to remove chewing gum stuck on clothing by placing it in the freezer?
Here’s how to do this trick:
- Place the garment in a plastic bag or freezer bag.
- Then place it in the freezer for a few hours or better overnight.
- Simply scrape off and remove the chewing gum the next morning.
3. Remove chewing gum from carpet
To easily remove chewing gum from a rug or car mat, cold and scraping are the solution!
- Place ice cubes in a plastic bag and place the bag directly on the chewing gum.
- Leave for several minutes to harden the chewing gum and scrape with a utensil.
- Then rub with a rag and a bit of WD-40 to remove the rest of the white chewing gum stain from the carpet.
- Rinse with a new damp cloth and dry the mat to finish.
4. Remove chewing gum with an iron
An iron is another device you can use to remove chewing gum stains from carpets, jeans, and other fabrics.
Here’s how to use the iron for this thing:
- Cool and remove excess chewing gum with tweezers.
- Place directly on the remaining stain of cardboard paper and pass the iron.
- Repeat until stain is completely gone and send to machine to finish.
5. Remove a stubborn chewing gum stain
If after all these tips and tricks there are still traces and residues of chewing gum on the fabric, I have a solution for you!
- Rub the stain with 90° alcohol: Soak a cloth with 90° alcohol and dab the gum stain. Dab and rub until the stain is completely gone.
- Rub the stain with vinegar: Pour white vinegar directly onto the stain and gently scrub with a small brush to clean the remaining stain.
For a very stubborn chewing gum stain you can also use (protecting the hands) ammonia diluted with a little water or white spirit.
Finish with a machine wash!
No matter what cleaning trick you are going to use to clean chewing gum from clothing and fabric, always finish with a machine wash to finish.