How do you remove a dye stain from clothing and furniture? Hair dye or wood stain, a stain can happen so quickly! On clothing, furniture or even on the skin, it is important to act quickly to clean everything.
Here are my top tips and tricks for removing dye from clothing or other surfaces.
1. Remove a dye stain from a white garment
If you have just spilled a little dye on a white cotton garment, don’t panic, but be careful, you have to act quickly to successfully remove all the stains.
The solution to effectively detach a white garment is bleach.
- Fill a basin with cold water and add a dose of bleach.
- Soak the white garment in the bleach water for 10-15 minutes.
- Rub the stain with a cloth and the solution and rinse the garment well.
- Finish cleaning the white garment in the machine on the normal cycle.
Do not let the garment soak too long in the bleach water or you may yellow the white of the garment.
2. Removing hair dye from fabric
Dyeing your hair without staining anything around you is quite a challenge, isn’t it!
So if you have just stained clothing, a bath towel, a rug or other fabrics, here is an effective grandmother’s remedy to stain everything.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the stain (cover it well) and pour a little white vinegar on the baking soda.
- Let the baking soda and vinegar mixture sit for a few minutes or until small bubbles appear.
- Gently rub the stain with the mixture to fully loosen the fabric.
- Rinse the garment and put it in the washing machine to finish cleaning.
You can use this trick to detach different fabrics and textiles including wool, cotton and synthetics.
3. Remove hair dye with lemon juice
Still to help you remove a stain of hair dye on a garment, this time I suggest you use lemon juice.
Here’s how to remove that dye stain:
- Soak the dye stain in lemon juice and rub the fabric between your fingers.
- Leave the lemon juice on the stain for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water and place the garment in the washing machine to finish.
By following the same steps you can also replace the lemon juice with white vinegar.
4. Remove stains from furniture
Furniture in white wood, lacquered wood, raw wood, whatever type of furniture you have, it is VERY IMPORTANT to clean this stain as soon as possible.
Here’s how to detach wooden furniture:
- For white wooden furniture: Rub the stain stain with a rag and acetone. Rinse and dry with a new clean cloth.
- For painted wood furniture: Rub the stain with a rag and acetone. Dab the remaining stain again but this one with a rag and mineral spirits.
- For lacquered wood furniture: Rub the stain with a rag and rubbing alcohol. Rinse quickly and dry with a soft cloth.
No matter the stain on a piece of furniture, I recommend reading these other handy tips and tricks: How to clean wooden furniture naturally?
5. Remove a dye stain from the skin
If you are looking for a trick to remove a stain of hair dye or wood stain on the skin, here is the best tip: toothpaste!
- Apply toothpaste (preferably white paste) directly to the dye stain.
- Leave on for 1 minute and gently rub the stained skin until the stain disappears completely and rinse with water.
Other natural skin stain removers:
- Olive oil or other vegetable oils.
- Baby oil.
- Liquid dish soap (to loosen hands, not face).
If you are looking for other tips to clean a stain on the face here is an interesting article to read: How to remove dye from the skin?