How to remove glue from clothing?
When you use glue, it is very easy to stain your clothes or objects around you. It’s easy to panic then, but don’t worry, it’s usually easy to remove glue from fabric.
10 Tips therefore offers you good tips and home remedies for removing stains and traces of glue from clothes or wood.
Remove white glue from clothing
Depending on the type of fabric and garment, here is how to easily remove white glue:
- Pour hot water over the glue and around the stain.
- Rub the glue stain with a little hot vinegar.
- Rinse the garment well to finish cleaning the fabric.
Be careful because vinegar can damage some fabrics, so test on an invisible part before removing the glue.
Easily remove wood glue
You are working with wood glue and have just dropped some on a piece of clothing, don’t panic! Here’s how to quickly remove that carpenter’s glue:
- Simply put a little warm water on the glue.
- Rub with a little liquid soap and rinse the garment.
- Finish with a regular wash cycle to remove any wood glue residue from the garment.
Removing Epoxy Glue From Clothing
Removing epoxy glue must be done very quickly, faster than a stain of white glue for example.
Indeed because if the epoxy glue remains too long on the garment it risks being damaged and even irrecoverable depending on the size of the stain.
- Simply scrape off the excess epoxy, taking care not to spread it any further on the fabric.
- Then clean the fabric with warm water and a little soap.
- You can finish with a normal cycle in the washing machine to complete the cleaning.
Remove neoprene and polyurethane glue
- Scrape the glue stain to remove the excess quickly
- Soak a cloth in acetone and gently rub the stain to remove everything
As neoprene glue is a very resistant and very strong contact glue, it is necessary to act very quickly so as not to damage the fabric.
Be careful because acetone is a strong product that can damage certain types of fabrics and materials.
Remove the acrylic glue
Acrylic glue has the advantage of being very easy to remove and clean from clothing. It is therefore very different from neoprene glue or epoxy glue, for example.
Indeed the acrylic glue does not need a product to be removed and cleaned from the fabrics. Just scratch it to make it disappear. You can finish with a wash in the washing machine with your other clothes and towels, quite simply.
2. Remove glue from clothing with a hot iron
Did you know that the iron can be very useful for quickly removing glue from jeans, a shirt, a tablecloth or even a synthetic fabric. Here’s how to use the iron:
- Place several paper towels on the glue stain.
- Run a hot iron over the leaves to melt the glue.
- The paper towel will then absorb the melted glue.
Repeat as needed to be sure to completely remove the white glue or strong glue from the garment. You can also finish the cleaning with a quick cycle in the washing machine.
The iron is also effective in removing pine resin as in this article: How to remove sap from a garment?
3. Rubbing alcohol to remove the glue
To remove a stain of glue on wood or even on tiles, methylated spirit is very effective. But be careful if the wood is painted, you will have to choose another solution to remove this trace of glue so as not to damage the surface. Here’s how:
- Quickly remove excess glue from the tile
- Soak a cloth in rubbing alcohol then dab on the remaining glue
- Leave to act for a few moments and rub again with a damp cloth
As methylated spirit is a very powerful product, it is better to test on a small, inconspicuous area before removing the glue. You can also use this product to remove glue from carpet.
Rubbing alcohol can also be used to clean several other stains as you will discover in this article: How to remove a tar stain?
4. White vinegar to remove glue
Another 100% natural and effective solution for removing glue from clothing is to use white vinegar and hot water. Here’s how:
- Pour a little white vinegar on the glue stain.
- Then take a towel soaked in hot water and gently rub the glue and white vinegar.
- If it’s a machine-safe garment, finish with a quick wash cycle.
Vinegar is a good natural cleaner but you can also use it for other tasks like in this article: How to remove stickers from fabrics?
5. Remove a glue stain from leather
A glue stain on leather? Above all, do not panic, it is very easy to remove this type of stain from leather, here is how:
To remove a fresh glue stain:
- Wipe the glue stain with a small cloth dampened with lukewarm water and wipe
- Then dry and wax the leather if necessary
To remove a dried glue stain:
- Soak a cotton ball with cleansing milk
- Gently rub the glue stain on the leather to remove everything.
Be careful never to scrape dry glue as you risk damaging the leather.